New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strange case crack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a new one for me. I discovered a small crack, about 1/8" long, longitudinal on case neck and shoulder. That is, it is on both neck and shoulder. WW 25-06 case.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brice- Not really so strange. This is an area that gets work hardened every sizing.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not strange; it happens.

Posts: 17266 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have found cracks in new brass straight from the bag

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a work hardened crack due to a too thick neck or working in the resizing die.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it were a .30-06 necked down to .25-06 then it is not uncommon for wrinkles to form in the shoulder (typically from excess lubricant). Those wrinkles may eventually become cracks after a few firings. However, if the brass came from the factory as .25-06 then it would usually have to be subjected to several excessive full-length sizings to cause a work-hardening crack in the shoulder.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Not new, just new to me.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once I started annealing the neck and shoulder area every 4th or 5th load I never saw another... Some of those cases in 300 WM have about 16 reloads now.

I had some on once fired RP in 375 H&H. Annealed them too and I'll see if I get any more.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote