New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using a Co-Ax reloading press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, finally mounted my co-ax reloading press. I got it used so have no manual. Got a few questions:

1. Can I use it with standard RCBS dies (decapped and sized two 375H&H cases a little while ago, seemed to work fine)? The die is loose in there, but I don't know if that makes it bad necessarily.

2. Do I setup the decapping/sizing die to allow the hangle to "cam over" like with my RCBS single stage?

3. with my seating die, in the standard press I use a nickel to setup the distance from shellholder to bottom of die, how do I do it with this?

I think that is it, I want to get some 375 loaded up so I can go test my iron sights.

Thanks.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Hey guys, finally mounted my co-ax reloading press. I got it used so have no manual. Got a few questions:

1. Can I use it with standard RCBS dies (decapped and sized two 375H&H cases a little while ago, seemed to work fine)? The die is loose in there, but I don't know if that makes it bad necessarily.
Any standard die will work, but the co-ax requires a different lock ring(a round one) not the hex nut RCBS is currently using.

2. Do I setup the decapping/sizing die to allow the hangle to "cam over" like with my RCBS single stage?
No, in fact the directions say not to. I set mine to where one can just feel pressure at the end of the ram stroke, a bump as it were, not camming over center.

3. with my seating die, in the standard press I use a nickel to setup the distance from shellholder to bottom of die, how do I do it with this?
The same method will work unless you're crimping.

I think that is it, I want to get some 375 loaded up so I can go test my iron sights.

Thanks.

Red

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Now, on the locking die, I have the round knurled one, these are old dies. Will that work or does it have to be smooth? And if it will work, I guess I can just use those type of lock rings off my old dies on my new ones? This press really is only going to be used for 375 and whatever bigger than that I get.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The knureled rings you have will work. The idea behind the Co-Ax is to allow the die to shift with the case preventing the die from bending the case. This helps eliminate die caused runout.
You can get Forster rings from Midway to replace the ones on your dies or go with Hornady dies or replacement rings. Hornadies rings are cheaper and work as well as the Forster.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote