New
Find
Notify
Tools

26 & 28 Nosler...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody ever seen a clean reamer print for either of these?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Nope, just a SAAMI drawing for the 26 Nosler, cartridge and chamber only. Not even that for the 28 or the 30.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it would seem akin to buying a pig in a poke...

I do not know how the 28 or 30 can match velocity to the 7mm or 300 RUM with a shorter case. Are they using the same "pixie dust" as Hornady does?

Smaller case at higher velocity usually = high(er) pressure at my house.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diagrams for both cartridges are on the Nosler Web site in the load data section.

They must be pushing a lot of pressure.

If you compare their own data for the 28 Nosler and the 7mm Ultra mag the max loads are as follows;

28 Nosler, 26" barrel, 160 Nosler bullet, case capacity of 92.5 gr water, (with that bullet) and a velocity of 3340fps

7mm Ultra mag, same barrel, same bullet with 103.9 gr case capacity of water and 3261 fps.

So over 10 grains less powder space and 79 fps more speed?

Sure would like to see the pressure difference on these two loads.

I don't think the extra speed would be a fair trade off for the increase in pressure.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they using the same "pixie dust" as Hornady does?

Smaller case at higher velocity usually = high(er) pressure at my house.

I would say yes, a designer powder reloaders can't buy. The Nosler cartridges well go the way of the Dakota cartridges, and that is very little interest in them.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Never found a combo that seems to work yet in a 26 nosler. Kinda partial to my 7 stw still

Posts: 14 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 27 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the velocities they are claiming on their load data page are all with regularly available powders.

So it is either a lot more pressure or "creative" data

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I wont be buying a N28 until Remington chambers one in a plastic Walmart ADL with a crappy scope and ring combo

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by npd345:
the velocities they are claiming on their load data page are all with regularly available powders.

So it is either a lot more pressure or "creative" data

Can you tell us what length barrels they are using in their tests?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
26"

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll just take my chances with the 6.5 and 7mm RUM cases.

I would want to see Nosler publish pressure data with their load data.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I think I'll just take my chances with the 6.5 and 7mm RUM cases.

I would want to see Nosler publish pressure data with their load data.

Rich,

You're close enough to drive over here and talk to the folks at Nosler. They might just give you the information you're looking for.

Mike Lake is the name of the fellow who developed those cartridges. Nice guy, easy to talk to.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps, but anytime I have to leave my time zone these days, it needs to be a bit more important than a chat. Now, if Gail Root were still there...

I might think it over if you buy lunch.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 28 Nosler showed only average accuracy until after about 30 rounds through the barrel.
Then with a 260 Accubond over a load of RL25 it makes .30" groups.
Good enough for what I hunt..

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
perhaps, but anytime I have to leave my time zone these days, it needs to be a bit more important than a chat. Now, if Gail Root were still there...

I might think it over if you buy lunch.

Rich

Rich,

Just found this. If you do come over, and we're around, I'll treat you to lunch but you'll have to settle for an elk burger. We live live less than a mile from the Nosler plant.

Regards,

Dennis

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote