Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tighten a rifle case primer pocket
 Login/Join

posted
this refers to a previous message dated 4-30-03. The device to accomplish this is made and/or sold by www.mountsplus.com and is a pocket swage to tighten the pocket rather than to remove a military crimp. It's called the MSP casesaver. thanks for everyones input.

Posts: 5 | Location: Crocus, KY | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Something to think about----

When a case is fired it hardens as well as expands in the unsupported places. Brass loses it's malleability as it hardens. Brittle brass is VERY dangerous brass.......and this outfit wants to re -work brass that's already been worked so hard it expanded beyond useability..... to save a DIME !!??

*I* think that's a really DUMB idea. [Roll Eyes] I would imagine their insurance company will think so too, when something goes wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I visited that web site. Looked around and didn't see anything that 'tightens' a primer pocket but then maybe I missed something. PBM61, how do you see the tool 'tightening' the pocket?

The tool that I saw was a primer pocket swager that removes the crimp. More expensive than my RCBS swaging set.

No intent here to flame, just trying to understand something that eludes me.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you misread or misunderstood as I have never heard of such a tool and hope I never do. It is a not so good Idea me thinks.

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For a discription of the MSP casesaver, try: www.mountsplus.com/products/PRIMER%20POCKET/case-saver-chart.PDF

I had been looking for this tool, as I had seen it 2-3 years ago. A friend has some foreign made once fired brass that is boxer primed and had a slightly oversized primer. Its also used by benchrest shooters to save cases that are good in all other respects.

[ 05-19-2003, 15:41: Message edited by: pbm61 ]

Posts: 5 | Location: Crocus, KY | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PBM61

Ok, your link works and the device would appear to do the job. But brass is cheap and in general, if a primer pocket becomes loose, there are good chances that the brass should still be discarded. Under normal conditions brass flows forward and head separations usually follow soon afterward.

In the case that you mention, the tool might work, but I would question the the cost/benefit for the tool. The fact that the pockets are a little too big would make me question the suitability of the brass in general for reloading. Specs are specs and it's obvious the the specs for the cases are non-standard.

Just an opinion.

Be safe.

jeff

[ 05-19-2003, 18:28: Message edited by: retired jeff ]

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herter's used to sell a similar piece of equipment call the "Primer Pocket Peener" to tighten stretched primer pockets.

I agree that the use of such a tool to attempt to salvage brass which has been fired with excessive pressure (perhaps multiple times) is hardly a good idea. (God is trying to tell you something when He makes primer pockets expand!)

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with "tightening" the primer pockets of new brass which is slightly out of spec. But perhaps a better cure for the out of spec new brass is to try various brand of primers, some of which fit tighter than others.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Retired Jeff said---

quote:
if a primer pocket becomes loose, there are good chances that the brass should still be discarded.
Many people are real believers in measuring the expansion of the case head as a way to read (roughly) pressures.

What most don't ask is, 'where did that brass come from?'

When the case head expands the primer pocket gets bigger. The unsupported base of the case peens outward just like the face of a brass hammer.

It's MUCH easier to guage the size of the case head by the resistance of the seating primer with a hand tool. You can very easily feel the difference of .0001 with your thumb on a Lee priming tool. When they get loose but will still hold a primer for just "one more shot". I file a notch in the rim to remind me to throw it away next time I start to load.

Saving worn out brass is false economy. Glass eyes cost too much it make it cost effective. [Smile]

<Rezdog>
posted
I would only use such a device on very rare and scarce brass and then with due caution. This reminds me of a bunch of military M-1909 blanks for the .30-06 I once found. These blanks are made out of once fired brass. Many of these cases had cracks in the base, running from the flash hole and up the base of the case about 1/2 inch. No problem in a big old machinegun but extremely bad news in a regular rifle. I think the problem was due to either an over long decapping pin holder which was bumping the base during decapping or possibly from the swage to remove the military primer crimp prior to repriming. THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU! BE CAREFUL AND INSPECT YOUR FINISHED PRODUCT CLOSELY. Case head failures can be catastropic.