New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Chrono
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using a Chrony Beta Master for 17yr and it just gave up the ghost, so time for a new chrono. I am interested in trying a different brand, but at the retailers, there are so many bad reviews I don't know which is the least objectionable (besides getting an Oehler if I can find one). Or just getting another Chrony.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oehler is the best!

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
If the last one was good for 17 years why change?

I've had a ProChrono Plus for about that long, I wouldn't think twice about ordering the producing Digital and USB kit.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the last one was good for 17 years why change?

tu2 coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Get another Chrony; why change? Mine works fine for 20 years and the one before that worked fine until a friend centered it with a .500 Linebaugh. Then it stopped working.

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Get another Chrony; why change? Mine works fine for 20 years and the one before that worked fine until a friend centered it with a .500 Linebaugh. Then it stopped working.

My Chrony is like a Timex........... just keeps working.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a MagnetoSpeed after using a Chrony for 10 years or so. The Magneto is easy to set up. You don't need to worry with sky screens and shooting them. Works as advertized.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a MagnetoSpeed

Now that they have the Sporter that is under $200 might be worth researching. Would come in handle at the public range when it is a royal pain to set up a normal unit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you set it up a time or two, the MagnetoSpeed is very quick and easy to set up. I am very pleased so far.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler 35P is the best I've used.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Very interesting test of the Chrony and Oehler shot for shot. http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=O...EzNKUAgpKNY&qsrc=472

I know 1 test. You look and you will find more pretty much saying the same thing. For $400 less I can live with the Chrony if I wanted to buy a non barrel mounted unit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good video, Paul, thanks. I recognize the quality of the Oehler but don't need the size and expense. Before this Chrony I only had a Chrony Alpha that met its end via a 185gr JHP, so it's been Chrony so far, and I've gotten used to the drill.

Impala, does having the Magnetospeed on the barrel doing anything to accuracy or point of impact?

sputster

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Impala, does having the Magnetospeed on the barrel doing anything to accuracy or point of impact?

Confused I'm curious about that as well. I have no first hand experience but since a minor adjustment of the BOSS system would change accuracy and POI I would bet a coffee (man I'm betting a lot of coffee these days) you are reading velocity only and need to remove for accuracy.

If so that is 1 in the Chrony etc column as you work on accuracy and read velocity at the same time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a V3 magnetospeed and I really like it. It is very easy to setup and much easier to change between barrels than I thought. I made a little cheat sheet for the spacers needed for each barrel and so far so good. It does effect POI on some barrels and not others. Group size does not seem to change from what I have seen but I've only used it 3 times so far.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I always shoot for velocity and accuracy, separately. Too many distractions if trying to do both, and I only need to chrono a few. So that magneto thing might have potential...

Posts: 17265 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
For years Shooting Chrony had a 50% off deal if you sent them your faulty chrony and they sent you a new one.

Seems they're down to @ 25-30%

http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_TTIYC.htm

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Darrell Royal, "Dance with the one that brung ya!"

Chrony!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
My little red Chrony worked fine for quite a few years till a guy named Steve shot it, it's replacement an F1 Master Chrony has been working fantastic for abou the last 15 years.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like others, I usually shoot for accuracy and velocity separtely. Have recently been using the Magneto with my Ruger #1 450/400 NE. It has a fairly heavy barrel, so accuracy has not been affected. If you a shooting a rifle with a very light weight barrel, I would expect it may affect accuracy quite a bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
MidwayUSA had a sale on Chrony Beta Masters so I went and ordered one. Done.

sputster