Notify
Tools

Long throat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey, speaking of missing zeros, how ya doin HC? hilbily knife

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still wound-up about one of my good buddies being THE GUY to win the NRA Elk Hunt at the Whittington Center this year. tu2 BOOM

HUGE MASSIVE GIANT TROPHY ELK have to be kicked outta the way just to walk around there. Without putting any pressure on him at all, I told him that he will probably be the new undisputed WORLD RECORD HOLDER after this Hunt.

Nearly drifted off the thread topic. I expect the HUGE MASSIVE GIANT TROPHY ELK and probable WORLD RECORD - to have a l-o-n-g throat!!! shocker

He will be using a Factory Spec throated S&S 338WinMag M700 that shoots amazingly accurate.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happened to his .270 Winchester? sofa

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a long throat than deal with the Remington Curse! stir

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey R, He is down to " 1 " 270Win. Swapped off the customized one he had built for his daughters. Told me he got another 257Rob Short Action M700 Mountain Rifle for them, just like the one he has.

When I first met him he was shooting all kinds of rag Mousers, etc., But I got him straightened out. Big Grin tu2

All use standard Factory Spec throats and shoot great.

Did I mention he WON the NRA Elk Hunt at the Whittington Center this year??? rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Did I mention he WON the NRA Elk Hunt at the Whittington Center this year??? rotflmo

Those cheesey hunts are a dime a dozen... stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo animal rotflmo

I "might" be able to get him to send you an autographed flick of him with the next WORLD RECORD Elk. I just wonder how many folks it will take to hold that HUGE Rack up??? Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many people will it take to hold the elk down while he shoots it?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jsl3170,
I had a 338/06 built on an old ruger action with a new Douglas barrel back in 1992. I set it up with a 225 gr Hornady bullet at the base of the case neck. Since then I've killed 10 of the large african antelope, two elk, a moose several mule deer and at least 5 reindeer. I killed all these animals with 200-210gr bullets.
I killed most of the bigger animals with the old 200gr Barnes X bullet and the moose with a 210gr nosler. I never felt the need to shoot or use the 225gr or the 250gr bullets. I'll have to use the new 210gr Barnes TS as they no longer make the 200gr bullet. I got outstanding results with these bullets at 2700- 2820 fps. No real need for that big 250gr bullet in a 06 case.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote