New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If a person was going to purchase a rifle and knew that he (she) was going to keep it a long time and use it regularly, would it be smart, and cost effective, to have the chamber cast to measure for a custom cutter to cut a custom sizing die.

What would all of that cost?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
If a person was going to purchase a rifle and knew that he (she) was going to keep it a long time and use it regularly, would it be smart, and cost effective, to have the chamber cast to measure for a custom cutter to cut a custom sizing die.

What would all of that cost?

Factory rifle or custom? If factory the barrel will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. So the die may not be useful with the replacement barrel. If custom you could always have the smith fit a second barrel and make a sizer die with the same reamer.
Best bet is to talk to someone at the place that would make the die/s.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1568 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Only if it was a custom chamber. If it's a factory chamber any set of dies will do.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote