THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about .45 ACP bullet components.
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

So thus far i've been reloading my .45 ACP with a 230gn Rainier LeadSafe Plated round nose bullets.
Otherwise seen here: http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...in-plated-round-nose

I'm looking for some alternate options for loading my .45. While I love these bullets, I am ready to buy some serious bulk for
loading my .45.

So here are some thoughts for you guys:

What are the pros and cons of using a lead bullet that is not plated?
What about FMJ round?

and most importantly,
Is there another .45 ACP round that I can get cheaper that works fine for target shooting? If so, whats it called and where can I buy it?

Thanks a lot guys! Look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Drew

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been casting my own lead bullets (230 RN Lee) and loading them in my Taurus PT1911 with no problem. Much less expensive than jacketed bullets.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
I've been casting my own lead bullets (230 RN Lee) and loading them in my Taurus PT1911 with no problem. Much less expensive than jacketed bullets.

+1

Tthe 45 handles cast bullets well.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Drew,

If I understand your question there is a slam dunk solution.

The classic .45 ACP target/practice/plinking load is a 200 gr. semi wadcutter loaded to about 830 – 850 fps. Almost every cast bullet company offers a 200 gr. SWC and most of them are very good. Try Oregon Trail Bullet Company for a quality product at a competitive price. They have a Labor Day promotion right now that will get you 1,000 bullets delivered for $107.50. http://www.laser-cast.com

There is a plethora of load data available for the cast 200 gr. SWC in .45 ACP. I use 5.3 W-231 in W-W cases with a Federal 150 primer but there are a dozen other recipes that will give you good results.

The .45 ACP handles cast bullets very well, and this bullet configuration feeds very reliably in modern weapons in good condition. Some people recommend wearing a latex glove for handling cast lead bullets. You can get surgical gloves at any drug store that fit snugly and allow unencumbered dexterity. If you use an indoor range be certain it is well ventilated but that goes for anything. Other than that there are no issues at all with cast bullets in the .45.

Hope this helps.

- James in TX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wider's blows that Laser Cast deal out the door with their standard daily price. ABout the same amount, but for 2000 bullets

http://wideners.com/itemview.c...ir=278|281|1084|1137

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Missouri Bullets 200gr. SWC (@$39.50/500) w/ 5.4gr of WW231/HP38. Similar to James, I've had good luck with that load in any/all of my .45's

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Check out boot heal bullets

Website

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote