New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Difference
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any difference between the Sierra Gameking and the Nosler B.T. Besides the obvious plastic verses lead tip. Also how about the Hornady sst? Will one penatrate better than another??

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The jacket thickness, core hardness, bearing surface, probably the boat tail angle. They do differ. As for penatration I`m sure there is a difference but I can`t tell you which is better at it.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot some roe deers with both B.T. and SST, and my impression is that the SST are a little tougher. Anyway, if you are looking for a tough bullet, you should consider the Sierra HPBT Gameking (not Matchking!); last summer I shot a nice roe buck with a 300 W.M. loaded with a 165 g. HPBT at close range, 45° angle, with impact in the shoulder, and I had (of course) complete penetration and VERY little meat damage. - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
They all perform about the same. I have to give a slight edge to the NBT because of the Solid Base and their higher BCs.

They are all very good expanders. When I have examined the close impacts w/ each at close range and pretty high velocity, The Sierra and SST usually totaly blow apart and leave tiny pieces of shrapnel but, the NBTs usally have a nice mushroom of lead sitting on top of that Solid Base. I have shot a pile of medium sized deer and hogs w/ the NBTs and I've only recovered two. I like the Heavy NBTs (180 in .308 and 150 in .277 &.284).

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hglass:
Is there any difference between the Sierra Gameking and the Nosler B.T. Besides the obvious plastic verses lead tip. Also how about the Hornady sst? Will one penatrate better than another??

Thge NBT's have a solid base, and the core inside has a flat base profile rather than the boattail shape, as does the inside of the jacket. Supposedly, this makes it less likely to shed its core like a regular cup-and-draw boattail design is prone to do.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote