New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on 375 Ruger Alaskan Loading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought I would update my results and say thanks for the suggestions.

In the end, I settled on 72 grains of Reloader 17. Bullet was Hornady DGS/DGX seated to the cannelure. I used Winchester primers as they were available locally. Hornady brass of course.

Velocity from my 20" barreled Alaskan averaged 2525 fps. Increasing the load to the max in the Hornady manual only gave slight increases in velocity (<75 fps) with a quite noticeable decrease in accuracy.

H4530 and Reloader 17 were the most accurate powders I tried. Reloader 17 gave much better velocity at starting through max loads (Reloader 17 basically matched the Hornady manual velocity, H4350 was considerably slower than reported from this rifle). The rifle showed a preference in accuracy of 1-2 grains off max. I did not try the VV powder as I could not get in locally.

I tried Reloader 17 on a whim. I thought it would be a bit slow for the short barrel. In the end, it gave the best combination I tried.

The rifle will shot three holes touching if I do my part. Which is difficult in a low power DG scope and my eyes. Feeding was a bit rough initially. Cycling it a few hundred times seemed to really help, but it is not as slick as other rifles I have handled. I may eventually have a pro have a go at it.

Recoil at starting load levels (~2200-2300 fps) is surprisingly mild and pleasant. Accuracy with H4350 was excellent at this velocity. I think I may have a new short range pig/deer/bear thumper after it returns from Africa.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The reloading data for RL17 is new and very very conservative. Your speeds will remain low using the recommended load data.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote