Find
Notify
Tools

Toughest Press??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I have a Lyman Orange Crusher press that's about 10 yrs old, and owing to the fact that I like wildcats, I use it to form a fair amount of brass. Problem is, it's loose. About 2 yrs ago, I sent it back to them and they must've installed larger pins in re-reamed holes, but it's loose again.
I want a new single stage press that can take my sh1t. What's the toughest out there?? I'm not looking for a progressive press.
Oh yeah, I want the handle to be switchable (basically I like the LH side 'cause I'm a lefty. Thanks for any and all opinions....

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I'm rather new to re loading, I was always told the RCBS rock chucker damn near un-killable

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when i wanted to begin reloading my brother in law sold me a BAIR press. it was a c type single stage press that was built as if it were to be the first and last press you'd ever buy. a heavy, cast, durable, bullet proof, wonderful press. they came from lincoln neb. i've never seen such a heavy made press since. it has got to be the toughest press i've ever seen.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL...........

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Got to go with the RCBS Rockchucher. Bought mine back in 1970 and its still going, going...(get that rabbit). I've loaded plenty of wildcats with some pretty heavy caseforming over the years, done a little custom commercial reloading, and plenty for varmints. Right now, I'm loading for four wildcats, my son's .300 RUM, my .375 H&H and a .416, plus 26 other calibers. It probably will be passed along to my son or one of my grandsons.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Mass isn't the only thing that contributes to toughness, design matters a lot.

Forster (or perhaps it was the previous marketer?) used to demonstrate their Co-Ax press by sizing down 30-06 cases to .243 *without* using any lube! (I think I have the calibres correct).

I don't think you could break a RockChucker (I used to have one), but I don't think you could do this stunt with a Rockchucker or any other press. The jaws that grip the case are much better than any shellholder.

On the other hand, I don't know what would happen if you dropped a Co-Ax press on a concrete floor or something!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no way to prove or disprove this, ultimately. I have 8 presses and the BIG Redding is incredible, but so are the RCBS single-stage Rockchuckers and the one with the 3 rods on top (big thing). I have forgotten its name. The materials with which a press is made and its heat treating and design make as much difference as how much metal bulk there is. I have a 1970's RCBS Jr. press that is still going strong. The RCBS Jr. has nearly as much metal as the Rockchucker (no wonder Blount discontinued it), but only has plain linkage, not compound.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of the old Herters in several configurations out there that are hell for tough, amd cheaper than RCBS.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
For a current production press, you can't beat the Rock chucker Supreme. However, I also have on my bench one of the old RCBS Big Max presses...now THAT is a heavy duty press!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.corbins.com ! It`s a great site with lots to learn, so click on all boxes! Study the csp-1 hard! It`s only 1/3 more $$$ then a Co-Ax!

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Ammo Master RCBS is one heavy duty press in MHO. I bought one to load 50 BMG with and it works great.C-H also has one thats has rack and pinion linkage for 50 BMG that I
would also like to try!

Muskrat
live to shoot -shoot to live!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old RCBS Big Max that dwarfs my Rockchucker. The Big Max is all beef and no fat.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I think we have a winner!

I had forgotten about both of Corbin's presses. I guess I was thinking "reloading press only". In any case, anything that can swage .458 bullets is impressive. I've seen a Corbin press, and the quality was impressive too.

You should also visit the other Corbin brother's website who makes an impressive press called the "Walnut Hill" .

jpb

Quote:

Go to www.corbins.com ! It`s a great site with lots to learn, so click on all boxes! Study the csp-1 hard! It`s only 1/3 more $$$ then a Co-Ax!

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the old Hollywood press made back in the 50's and 60's is the most stout I have seen. They are LARGE HEAVY and had a turret that would hold a lot of dies. I think they were about 50lbs and solid. It would be hard to wear out. At times I see them for sale, but I have not heard of one getting sloppy.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
There's a Hollywood turret press on Ebay right now, I think it holds about 9 dies at a time.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hollywood senior, and its a brute. I think its closer to 65 lbs but I am unsure. I have a Rock chucker, a T-7, 550B, and that hollywood. I use my 550 and T-7 the most. I bought my Hollywood new, and I believe I payed 500 for it. The T-7 is a great press and a good value.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The old RCBS A2 press is hell-for-stout and of high quality. You don't find them for sale very often, but if you should, your won't be wasting your money.....dennis

Posts: 13 | Location: SW of Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote