New
Find
Notify
Tools

light 44 mag reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK I bought some Hornady XTP 180 gr bullets and repackaged 165 gr JHP from Midway with the plan of loading some light self defense loads like the 44 spl in 44 mag brass. I have Bullseye, unique, and 2400 to choose but can't find load data for the bullet brass combination.

Posts: 59 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dug up a little for .44 mag...
180 XTP, 12 gr Unique, 1061 fps
180 XTP, 13.6 gr Unique, 1301 fps

.44 special data...
180 XTP, 5.2 gr Bullseye, 729 fps
180 XTP, 5.6 gr Bullseye, 777 fps
180 XTP, 6.1 gr Bullseye, 825 fps
180 XTP, 6.5 gr Bullseye, 874 fps

180 XTP, 6.4 gr Unique, 652 fps
180 XTP, 7.0 gr Unique, 744 fps
180 XTP, 7.5 gr Unique, 836 fps

Puppydog load I,ve been using for years, tiny bit warm .44 special load, 9 gr HS 6, 240 XTP, out of a 5" Smith, fun, fairly accurate, using .44 mag brass.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cub124, Muttly has given you some good info.

With those 180gr bullets I would start with 9 grains of Unique and work up to the 13.6gr load,and pick the one that shoots the best, at the recoil level you like.

With a 44 calibre 180 grain bullet, anything over 950fps, ie 45 ACP powerlevel, is plenty good. Anything above that is icing on the cake...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this for a revolver?

If so light loads usually work better in 44 Special cases and not 44 Magnum cases.

As you know 44 Special was originally a blackpowder cartridge and so the case was overlong for many faster pistol powders.

Remember the 45 ACP is a lot shorter as was designed as a smokeless powder number from the outset.

So 44 Magnum really is that long because of historical need to have it impossible to chamber in old blackpowder 44 Special revolvers.

So 44 Magnum with fast powders is WAY too long!

So I'd go 44 Special cases...if you can get them and if your dies will be able to reload them.

The other advantage with the shorter 44 Special case is that it is easier to load and unload the gun as the case clears the grips better.

Many of the old Hercules powders are touted for this but Trail Boss actually works well with lead bullets in 44 Magnum.

However from the powders you list:

With lead bullets Unique was a good powder in 44 Magnum. 2400 will give too much muzzle flash IMHO. And Bullseye is, if you are not careful, a double charged case waiting to happen!

Unique fills the case well, so no risk of accidental double charge, and can get a good velocity of around the 850fps to 950fps without excess muzzle flash.

Of your three, Bullseye, 2400, Unique then Unique would be my preferred option.

As others say maybe 9.0 to 10.0 grains.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes a Taurus revolver 4" barrel, all my special cases are aluminum Blazer crap, I've sworn not to buy AL any more,

Posts: 59 | Location: Southern Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try universal in place of unique if you find unique dirty. It often is.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
+1 for Unique

Posts: 15 | Location: Kenai, AK | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok worked up three loads and survived, also found my newest manual, published in 1996,

light 44 mag loads

2400 at 19gr
unique at 11gr
unique at 12gr

The 2400 and 11gr unique shot well and recoil was about the same as 44 special, one had bigger muzzle flash but can't remember which

unique at 12 gr was a bit heavy and approaching but not quite the magnum feel I remember.

the 2400 filled the case more than the unique, any insight on pressure differences between the two?

shooting single handed all loads shot a 5-7 inch group at 20 yards,

Also I have been noticing that the lighter bullets take more powder than the heavier bullets, sounds backwards to me

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I always wonder how people can buy a gun, bullets, cases, powder and primers, and the reloading equipment to put all that together and not buy a manual. It's fascinating to me.

It's also fascinating that they would ask for reloading information on the internet forums.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just loaded some 240 Grain lead at .44Sp speeds and I am happy with the plinkability of this load.

5Gr of 700X
Works charming in my smith..around 750 to 800 FPS

Mongrel

Posts: 6 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 09 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
I always wonder how people can buy a gun, bullets, cases, powder and primers, and the reloading equipment to put all that together and not buy a manual. It's fascinating to me.

It's also fascinating that they would ask for reloading information on the internet forums.

Really? so you've never discussed different loading data when around other folks that reload? just cause somebody asks questions doesn't mean they are doing something wrong. actually, the one that asks questions tends to be the more intelligent one. knowledge is never gained by not seeking it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wheelgunner45LC:

[Quote]

Yes! No manual with all that equipment?

Mix thoroughly (1-LB of Flour) (1/2-LB of Butter) for a slicker bore and (1-LB of H110)
Fill case to the brim with any bullet size, buy life insurance and go to the range.
Big Grin

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, I have several manuals yet I tend to not find what im looking for from time to time. the original post said he couldn't find any data for what he wanted to do so he asked in hopes of finding the info he was looking for. also, in this day of internet, you don't need a manual. I have found a lot of info from the internet. I hope these comments are tongue in cheek because the best way to chase someone away from a hobby is to make fun of them for asking questions. I guess the ones that ridicule someone that asks questions must know everything and never felt the need to ask....good day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wheel, It will take allot to hurt my one last feeling....but as in life I roll with the punches....but I didn't take it personally I'm sure he was making a broad statement. I think the forums and internet in general has helped the homebound, disabled, whether in combat or not, get out of the house, I first do a search and read to see if the topics has been covered before (on several forums), I'm sure the regulars get tired of newbie's asking to same old questions over and over

I've read several manuals but as in my original question I have Mag brass but did not want Magnum power because of the over penetration. if it ever needs to be used in the house, our kids bedrooms flank our bedroom door on both sides. Has anyone ever turned Mag brass into special brass using a tubing cutter or lathe? just a thought, can it be done? you can't find this stuff in a manual. ALL my manuals are filled with repetitive info so about only a third of it is useful reference. I'm not interested in the history of the M1 nor do I want to read it from 6 different perspectives, plus some manuals contradict each other sometimes. nothing beats real world trial and error.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cub124

Just use your magnum brass, the power levels of the loads you are using are fine in magnum brass.

Once upon a time when I loaded 44 Special power level loads for my 44 Mags for plinking and DA practice I did use special brass, and I always made sure to clean out the chambers after each firing session.

Many years I quit using the 44 Special brass because I did not have to change the dies on my progressive loading machine to load the shorter 44 Special cases. I just uppped my powder charges a little on the light loads, to make up for the larger volume of the Magnum case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The velocity levels you are getting with those loads in your 4" gun should be just fine for defensive use.

That 165 gr bullet from Midway, if it is a JHP just might be an overrun, made by I think Sierra, for Cor-Bons 44 Special and 44 Mag loads.

While I am normally a heavy bullet kind of guy I bought some of the Cor-Bon 44 Rem Mag 165gr JHP, rated at 1300fps for 619 ftlbs of energy for a good price one time.

When I am on a road trip to a hunt, and only carrying a 44 Mag handgun, I use the light bullet loads when in a town.
I like the Speer 200gr 44 Mag Short barreled load as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
of you not familar with the Taurus 44 Mag revolver, I think cub124 has the same Taurus 44 Mag that my sister in law has.

She wanted a handgun to carry when hunting and I recommended that model to her, as I stated I would keep her in ammo, as I reload 44 Mag.

This revolver has a 5 shot cylinder and is on a smaller frame than a S&W N Frame Mod 29.

It malkes not only a good carry piece but a very good Concealed Carry Revolver as well.

The revolver has a pair of funny looking rubber grips that are verycomfortable to shoot, even with full power magnum loads.

Her gun shoots good.
As a start, I loaded her up some 240gr cast loads with 7.5gr of Unique. After she shot a couple of hundred of them I bumped up the load to 8.3 gr of Unique [that is what one of the powderslides on my progressive loader throws].

That is her field carry load, along with the Speer/CCI shotshells.

For urban and house defense she carries the Speer/CCI 200gr Gold Dot 44 Special HP loads.