THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Your Recs for a 257 Roberts Reduced Recoil Load

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Your Recs for a 257 Roberts Reduced Recoil Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gary, the easiest way to reduce recoil is toss a lighter bullet. Step down to the 87 gr and begin with the suggested load or even begin a few grains shy of that. The .257 isn't a savage kicker by any means but of course a 7 yr old boy might argue the point.

But you'll need to back this bullet down quite a bit to keep it from being explosive. I used it on a lot of old jackrabbits and it would "put the back in KIT form," if you know what I mean.

Anyway, just a thought.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
I'd appreciate your thoughts in my efforts to help a non-reloading friend. My friend has two grandsons, ages 7 and 9 y/o, he will be taking on a whitetail management deer hunt in TX in a few months. Shots might stretch to 150 yards, but more likely w/in 150 yds. The boys are average size for age. He will work them up to the hunting load gradu, although they already shoot 22's and shotguns some. He already has two, 257 Roberts' rifles set up for the kids, but only has factory loads available since he doesn't handload. I told him I'd help him develop some reduced recoil loads. I'm thinking of one of the 25 cal 100 gr NON-BALLISTIC TIP bullets (at approx 2500 fps), but am open to your suggestions; BTW, ballistic tips are "outlawed" on the ranch. Which bullet would you suggest? As far as powders, I'll probably start w/ H4895 or possibly IMR 4320; I also have RL 15, Varget, H322, H335, AA2520, and AA2460 available, as well. Seafire, would your beloved Blue Dot have applications for this? If so, what would you suggest for min/max powder charges. Thanks for your help, Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If reduced to light loads the 87gr bullets will work great on the smallish deer. I like BL-C(2) for the 257 bob, and if the boys can do with 100's, BL-C(2) will do great also.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
If you're going to use a 100 gr. slowed down it might be just the ticket not to use a premium bullet. The standard construction bullets may be more advantageous and open up a little better at slower velocities.You might want to try:

1. 22.2 gr. of 4759 near 2400ft/sec.

2. 26 gr. of 4198 near 2400ft/sec.

3. 21 gr. of BLUE Dot near 2350ft/sec.

The lowest recoil is the Blue Dot But the 4759 is a little more but unnoticeable. The 4198 will be totally comfortable.
I've owned a number .257s and they really are not punishing unless the rifles are to light or it is just a poor fit. Make sure the stocks are not to long. Common blunder.

Focused observence on your part during a well thought out indoctrination is going to tell you a lot and hopfully will pleasantly surprise you. 35 years ago my nine year old was competing in trap using a 12 gauge Browning Lightning and could not wait till saturday and sunday arrived.

They're going to do just fine. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Looks like I need to consider the 87 gr SPT bullets. I've sent an e-mail to Sierra on this same topic. Will let you know what they say. Do y'all have any specific brand of 87 gr bullet to recommend. Thanks for the IMR 4759 reminder; I have some, but it hadn't even crossed my mind. I found an old thread where Seafire had some Blue Dot loads for reduced recoil 243 Win loads w/ 90-100 gr bullets. May need to try Blue Dot, as well. Thanks. Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote