Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading
 Login/Join

posted
this isdumb question but is there a book that tells how to set up and get started reloading . Like reloadind for dumbies .I just got all my uncles reloading equpment but don't know where to start and he has passed away .

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingThere are many manuals but Modern Reloading second edition B Richard Lee for starters if used perhaps with a Speer loading manual. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out with a Lyman reloading manual some 42 years ago and figured most of it out on my own. I was lucky and an individual at my summer job reloaded and helped me with some of the detail learned by experience. I just checked and my Sierra manual and Hornady reloading books both have step by step instructions about reloading. If you have a gun shop or gun club in your area there should be someone more than willing to help you get started.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
I just read Lyman's 49th edition and it was pretty good at explaining the basics in a way I could follow. I'm no expert by any means, but it'll get you started.

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about any of the main load books has a section on getting started. You're gonna need at least one load book, at present, Lyman 48th is my favorite, so you might as well get one. Just don't try to shortcut the learning curve by jumping in the middle and asking questions in cyberspace without some basic knowledge.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started with "The ABC's of Reloading 5th Edition", by Dean A. Grennell followed by the Lyman Manual. Read them cover to cover, then load your first cartridge, especially if you don't have on site help.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Onvce you have read a couple of manuals talk to the people at your local reloading supply store they may know someone the area that will help you when you do your first loads. It never hurts to default to experence.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I would agree that the ABC's of Reloading is a good place to start. I think the Speer, Hornady and Lyman manuals have good info for the beginner too.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I aggree that the Speer and Hornady Manuals have good info. You might get those as they will be good to have when you get to loading.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote