New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: used RCBS press+more
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for used RCBS reloading equipment to get me started in reloading. I don't have much cash and so I would like an cheap RCBS JR, Partner, or RS (Reloader Special) press, though a Rock Chucker is welcome if cheap. Also, a powder measure, trimmer, tumbler and scale is needed (basically an entire setup is needed ) I have looked on eBay and the prices there are higher than what the stores charge, so now I am turning to handloading forums...

Please e-mail me at roguewarrior60@yahoo.com

Thanks...

Victor
reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
<1badassmagnum>
posted
the rock chucker from midway was $229,the lee pro 1000 is $120,and the lee anniversity kit is $68.
maybe buy a kit new that fits your price range.I will keep my eyes open in the other forums I visit,good luck in finding a rock chucker,I love mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's obvious that you can price your needs thru typical retail/discount outlets. Two other sources of supply are eBay and used equipment that can be found at some gunshops. Know the prices and then shop.

I don't think you can go wrong with a cast iron press. The alloy presses like the Lee seem to do the job also, but I'm not sure about long term heavy duty use especially if you're doing heavy brass reforming. A lot depends on what you are going to load and how much. Your best values and lowest cost will be with a single stage press. Forget about turret presses, new or used. You pay more, and they don't produce ammo any better. You may even find that they don't work as well, particularly if they are used equipment.

If you are going to load conventional pistol and/oor rifle ammo the Lee 'O' type press would be quite servicable. In that case I'd recommend buying it new with the dies for your first caliber.

Get the best quality scale and powder dispenser that you can afford (Lyman or RCBS). Check out the new prices and then look at eBay. You'll be surprised. An area that will save money is priming, you don't need a separate priming tool. All of the standard presses that I'm aware of have a priming arm for small and large primers and they work quite well. I've been loading for almost 40 years on a Rockchucker and use the arms that came with it. 14 calibers, for pistol & rifle and about 3,000 rounds per year.

good luck.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I started out with the Lee anniversary set, and from my experience, you'll be able to assemble ammunition as accurate and safely as with RCBS equipment. When you decide to upgrade in the future, then you'll figure out what works best for you.

IMHO, RCBS equipment is over rated, for single stage presses the Forrester Co-ax is the best, and for powder measures and dies Redding is superior.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I think you pretty well summed it up.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I to am a begginer in realoading and I bought an RCBS kit with the rock chucker. It serves me wonderfully, I just added a Partner RCBS press for necksizing my .22 hornet cases, I picked it up second hand at a good price. If you need the lot just buy the RCBS master kit and then you have the bascis and you can add little extras as you go.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
I just bought the Lee kit and it works great. I'm reloading for 30-06 and 300 Win Mag.