Find
Notify
Tools

.510 bullet puller
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
About to start reloading my 500 nitro and started looking at bullet pullers. What are people using as there is no way I would get enough use out of RCBS large bullet puller/collet to make it worth the money spent. I use an impact puller for everything else smaller.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Side cutters (and your press). Or put leather between some other tool and the bullets to prevent marring. I've broken two impacts and am done with that!

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I have no real answer but I do have a faux suggestion.
You remember the old joke, "What do you call a gal who can suck a golf ball thru a garden hose?"
What ever you call her, she may help

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
I'm at a loss here.
Why do you need a bullet puller because you start to reload a new caliber?
Do you plan to make duds?

fficial&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=UWBaU7-KDMvU4QSB5IFg" target="_blank">https://www.google.dk/search?q...UWBaU7-KDMvU4QSB5IFg

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm not sure as to the shape of the bulletsyou want to pull, but the 50 cal collet for the regular rcbs puller works fine on 50 bmg's. but they are a long spitzer design and only go part way in (but enuf) if you are pulling round nose for instance then it wouldn't work

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make your own. A quick and dirty way is to bore a 9/16 hole thru the short side of a 2x6 until the drill bit just starts to break thru the other side. This will give you a chamber about 5 1/2 inches long. You may have to open up the end of the hole a bit to get the cartridge to seat. Then insert the cartridge and smack the board against the top of your bench. You may also have to use a rubber band to hold the cartridge in the board if the hole is a bit to big.
Best

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
2ND the RCBS collet for .510 bullets. It works very well for my .50 Alaskan and .50/110 cartridges.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Dane,
I have bulged cases before, put too much crimp on, seated too deep, etc.
At the cost of CEBs, I prefer not to lose a bullet if I ruin a casing.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the green plastic RCBS inertia puller on my .500 NE. Just drop the round in the puller without using the little adapter that catches on the rim of smaller diameter cartridges. The barrel of the puller just accommodates the round. Works like a charm Wink

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Never thought of trying without the adapter piece! I have ordered the std RCBS puller as stated earlier to give it a try.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you need to crimp the cases? I have not hhad much luck crimping straight walled nitro rounds with seater die crimping.

Maybe you can get a Lee Factory Crimp die for the 500? Mine work well in 375 and 458 but haven't used one for double.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1977 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Chris,
Just picked up CH4D dies today and went straight to loading. I thought I might have to crimp initially but at this point and about 20 rounds loaded, I am not doing any crimping.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I am useless at trying to post pics, but if someone sends me a PM and wants to post some pics of the one I made, no problem. I have a tube slightly larger than the round, made a cap that the rim of the 50 fits neatly and just bang this contraption against the bench. With the weight of the bullet it does not take much. I extended the tube capability to handle other large calibers by sliding the case into the relevant shellholder, sliding the cartridge into the tube,and bingo.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geronomo:
I use the green plastic RCBS inertia puller on my .500 NE. Just drop the round in the puller without using the little adapter that catches on the rim of smaller diameter cartridges. The barrel of the puller just accommodates the round. Works like a charm Wink

+1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Vise grips. The marks it makes in the bullet does not seem to matter when loaded again. Grip the bullet whilst the round is in the press, sticking up through the die hole. Lower the ram and soon, the bullet comes out.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote