New
Find
Notify
Tools

.444 mar reloading tips
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hello all been doing a little more loading lately so far loaded up several hundred pistol rounds and a few hundred rounds of 223 and am gaining confidence. im just about ready to start loading up some of my hunting cals to work up some loads those being 270wsm and 444 marlin. i think i have the 270 under control as it should be like a larger version of the 223. the 444 is a little different being the straigt walled case. are these cases flaired like pistol or chamferd like bottle neck cartridges. also what is the recomendation for crimping. ill be loading 265gr hornady ftx over h4198 and shooting from a single shot nef. i do plan to do some more reading before starting on these but figured i would ask a few ?'s while im away from my loading manuals. also any other tips are greatly appreciated.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't do 444 but do a lot of 45-70. Think of it as a stretched out .44 Mag rimmed case.
My 45-70 dies are a three die set (like your pistol dies). Decap and fl size with the first die. Expand and Flare the mouth with the second die (I shoot mostly cast lead). Seat and roll crimp with the third die. Your crimp type will depend on your die, but, my dies roll crimp which is what I need. Sets up like your pistol die.
Hope this helps.
rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is what i was thinking. i geuss i need to order a factory crimp die for them. so far ive had no luck getting the crimp/seat die setup just right on any of my other calibers so ive gotten fcd's for them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't bought the dies yet then buy the Lyman 3 die set for FLS, expanding using their famed M die and then seating with a choice of nose profiles. Then crimp with a Lee Collet crimp die.
Actually you may not even need to crimp for a single shot as long as the neck is turned in just a bit after expansion to facilitate chambering.
Crimping is necessary to prevent setback from recoil in a multishot firearm but it is also necessary to prevent bullet creep out of the case if using compressed loads which I doubt 4198 will be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ive already bought the lee dies. actually i had a tuff time finding any when i bought them nobody seemed to have anything in stock. i geuss i need to look at what i even have before i buy anything i may actually have the fcd in the set i bought. i plan to crimp just to be safe since i usually throw several rounds in my back pack when i go out and i wouldn't want one to accidently get set back while bouncing around in there.