New
Find
Notify
Tools

primer problem for newbie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Trying to prime my 1st cases. Primers won't seat in cases or they cock. Everything looks lined up staight, allthe correct components on the press. It's a hornady L-n-L,Fed. 223 once fired case w/fed.205 primers. Whats going on?

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never used your components, but are you using ex mil cases with the crimp ridge still on them?

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with JAL. Also, did you clean the primer pockets? I always do this with every reloading. I use a primer pocket "uniformer", but a cleaning tool will do just as well. I am not familiar with the Fed 205 primers, but I assume they are "small rifle"?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are fed. premium V-shok factory loads. I thought it looked like a bur on the primer pocket so I deburred it just a little maybe not enough. Could these possibly have a crimp? Should the primer go in fairly easy?

Posts: 87 | Location: lehigh co. pa. | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I cleaned the pockets and they are sm. rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
welcome alan,
are you sure your useing the small primer seating plunger? there are 2 sizes......large for large and magnum,
and small for small rifle.
a small rifle primer will get crocked in a large primer plunger, this can happen with a hand-held primer tool or with your press priming your shells like i think you are. if all else fails keep calm and read.... no offence meant ! regards and good luck

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I am using the small plunger,It,s the same size as the primer. I made sure I double check that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok good....factory loads have no crimp what soever.primers will only seat easy if your king-kong or the pocket is expanded from way to much pressure , thats not the cause here.i'd say they should seat with medium- hard pressure.. you could wate and call hornady tomorrow? it be vise in this case...i use rcbs presses and hand-primers,hornady mite have a new system out i know nothing about?
hang in there and call them tomorrow!
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most recent Federal 223 ammo I had had crimped primere, needed reaming..
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll add that you shouldn't ream a primer pocket when you can use a pocket swager instead.

a primer pocket swager is relatively inexpensive
and does a much more consistant job of re-forming the pockets.

Never remove metal when you can cold form it.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Commercial .223 ammo with crimped in primers????? He should be able to punch the old primer out and put a new one in w/o doing anything. Not cleaning, nor reaming, nor uniforming, nor anything. I've been doing it for years.
Try some CCI small rifle primers. I learned the other day for some reason there is quite a bit of difference amongst the various brands and types of small rifle primers.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I believe you have an equipment problem. I would check with Hornady and see if they can help you spot something incorrect in the setup or with their equipment.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a personal opinion. Forget press mounted priming tools. Spend the few extra $$$ and get a Lee Auto Prime (in fact get two while you are at it - set up one for small and the other for large primers).
You'll never look back.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan:
First of all, I have never used nor owned any Hornady reloading equipment. Not to say it's bad stuff, just that I'm not familiar with it. I would agree with the comments about getting and using a hand priming tool and the one I always use is the RCBS unit. At one time I used a Lee hand primer but got rid of it simply because I didn't want the hassle of keeping separate shell holders. I too have tried using the priming arms on my press (RCBS Ammo Master) but you just don't have the "feel" of the primer being seated. Also, I always uniform my primer pockets with a drill powered uniformer I got from Sinclair. As I recall, they have them for both large rifle & small rifle primer pockets. Very fast & easy. Just a few things for you to consider. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Commercial .223 ammo with crimped in primers?????

Yep, you got it! I picked up about 200 at the ramge, sure as shit crimped primer pockets, I thought it was some special run for LEO or something. Federal 223 rem
Alan take the tip of your pocket knife and cut a bevel on the edge of the primer pocket, it may take a couple passes around to give it a clean beveled edge, then try and prime it, if it works you've found the problem. Lyman makes a primer pocket crimp remover tool that works very well, I run mine in the drill press, it works so well I sold my C&H primer pocket swager for Lg and Small pockets, if you plan on loading a lot of 223 either will be a good investment for use on the mil surp brass that around. Let us know if they are crimped. Scot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I just tried to primer some remington factory cases and the primer went right in. I guess the feds most be crimped. Thanks for all the advice You'll be hearing from me alot. I want to learn this right,no room for guessing.