Find
Notify
Tools

MATCH GRADE PRIMERS IN LARGE CAPACITY CASES
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Folks,
I was wondering if anyone has used match grade primers (i.e. Federal 210M) in large capacity cases such as the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum or .338 Lapua. If so, how were the ignition characteristics? Any hangfires, etc.?

Also how did they affect the accuracy?

Thanks for the input,

HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
All a match grade primer is, is one that has been uniformed and sorted for consistency. The formulation is the same as the company's regular primer. Theoretically you could accomplish much the same thing by weight sorting regular primers. There is no difference in performance other than the consistency, so you'll get no more hang fires or duds than you will in any of them.

I use Federal 215M's in any large capacity cases requiring over 80g of propellant. Never a problem. Also use the match CCI and 210's interchangeably for the comparable regular primer where consistency, such as load testing, is a requirement.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Results from the last couple weeks in a .338 Win. Mag. (Beretta Mato).

All loads used 200-gr. Ballistic Tips loaded in once-fired Remington cases, sorted for consistent neck thickness. Data are average velocities for 3-shot groups at 100 yds.

Federal 210M
63.0 gr. RL-15: 2848 fps/4.43" group (!)
64.0: 2789 fps (more later)/0.82"
65.0: 2893 fps/0.84"
65.0: 2915 fps/0.59"

I think there must have been some chrono error for the 64 gr. load but didn't really do anything differently on that one.

Federal 215M
63.0 gr. RL-15: 2853 fps/0.87"
64.0: 2866 fps/1.01"
65.0: 2909 fps/0.91"
65.0: 2900 fps/0.86"

I decided to go with the magnum primer for the better consistency it showed, and will be loading a bunch later today.

The same load with CCI 250 magnum primers (shot this past spring) was almost as accurate. Velocity was a little higher but it was also a different lot of powder.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Federal Match primers in nearly all my rifles that use a large primer.

I have found them to be great to eliminate flyers in several loads in 22-250 and 6mm Remingtons. This using the 210M primer, of course.

I have also found good use for the Federal 215M primer in my large caliber rifles. I currently use them for heavy bullet loads in my 25-06 as well when using IMR 7828 powder.

I did a study on my 7mm Weatherby and shot a number of groups with the same load, some using Federal 215 and some using Federal 215M primers.
This gun showed an honest 28% reduction in group size with the Match primer. On the other hand, my 300 Weatherby showed no measurable difference at all. Go figure.

In the usage you are suggesting, I would recommend the Fed 215M over the 210M. I can imagine that you might indeed get misfires or hangfires in those large cases in cold weather.

Try the Federal 215M, I think it is just what you are looking for.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Just got back from picking up some Federal 215 Match primers. Now the work begins.

HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
always use federal-GM215M primers in all large cap. cases. no hangs,duds,misfires. a little more $ but who cares-no hassle

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote