Find
Notify
Tools

Just FYI on an Obermeyer barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I had an Obermeyer bbl installed on my Sako. It is SS, 5R and is chambered in 308. Just wanted to comment on the cleaning.

Though it is only one barrel, I will say that it cleaned FAR EASIER than any other bbl I've ever experienced. In fact, I shot 75 rounds on Sunday before the groups began to open up. Even then, it was minimal.

Usually, I can put wet patches down any given barrel until it comes out almost white, then use a brush, and then send another patch down the tube and it comes out jet black. So, I have always been a fan of brushing. In my experience, if you don't you're leaving a lot of crud in the bore, especially at the throat.

I did the usual routine with the Obermeyer bbl and as it turns out, after brushing, the patch still came out white. I took that as no need to brush at all. So, I guess the rumor, or alleged benefit to the Russian style rifling is indeed beneficial. Or, at least in this one case it made all the difference in world.

I've got another "R" style rifled bbl coming soon and I hope it will clean as well or better.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will say that it cleaned FAR EASIER than any other bbl I've ever experienced.

Without knowing what you are comparing it to, this relly doesn't tell us a lot. ??

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
I will say that it cleaned FAR EASIER than any other bbl I've ever experienced.

Without knowing what you are comparing it to, this relly doesn't tell us a lot. ??

Sorry....comparing it to all of my other custom barrels, both cut and button in stainless, from other makers.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have an A&B SS in 308 and it the same never need to brush and no copper fouling at all,
I was thinking it was that particular batch of SS.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote