New
Find
Notify
Tools

.25/06 115 grain Nosler BT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used the 115 gr. Ballistic Tip in .25/06 for deer( a pet load would be GREAT)? I got some in a trade a few months ago and they seem just about perfect for whitetail.
Also does anyone happen to know the BC and SD for this bullet?
Good Shooting,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<short243>
posted
Kind of a generic answer but 115 in 25/06's that I have had general shoot good. 100 to 117 general shoot well but for different reasons 120's are spotty. Most I have had will shoot down to mid 80's with no problem but if you handload they work beston the upper side of the scale,(read warm NOT over max).Anyway hope this helps.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the sectional densitiy of a .257 caliber bullet of 115 grains is .249. The latest Nosler Manual does not have the Ballistic Coefficient listed for the Ballistic Tip, only the Partition. The partition is .389, I am sure the Ballistic Tip is better. I am also sure that the data on all the Nosler bullets is available on Nosler's web site www.nosler.com.

I have shot a few coyotes, several wild hogs, and an antelope with the 115 Ballistic Tip in my 25-06. I have always been pleased with the results. I have never recovered one, they all exited the animal.

I intend to try them on deer, the deer just have not cooperated as of yet.

As for a favorite load, Nosler lists 54 grains of IMR 7828 or 53.5 grains of RL 22 as maximum loads for the 115 grain bullets in the 25-06. Loads very similar to those have worked well in my rifle. I had to just about flip a coin to decide which to use. I finally settled on the IMR 7828, using 54 grains.

Oddly enough, when using their loads, I get a little more velocity than they did with IMR 7828 and a little less velocity than they did with RL 22. Just the way it is sometimes. Maybe different barrels, maybe powder lot variaton, who knows. Actually I might suggest that their RL 22 load may be a little too hot for some rifles.

So, I can only suggest you give this bullet a try. While I certainly do not want to try it on an elk; for deer, antelope, sheep, etc. I think it will work well for you.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<LynnL56>
posted
I took three deer with this load --49.5 of 4350 cci mag primer with the 115 BT -- three shots under an inch --all exited all one shot kills in woods hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hillbillybear 115 gr BT's on top of 55 grs of RL 22 groups under an inch @ 200 yds in my 25-06.This is a max load so work up carefully. The BT opens up pretty quick at top velocity. This load is super on antelope but for deer I would wait for a broadside shot in the lungs or go to 115 gr partition.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Long Shot>
posted
Try H4831SC with your 25-06. Based on my experience, and what I've read on this and other Boards, it gives excellent velocity and accuracy in the 25-06. I use it with 117gr Sierra Gamekings in my Weatherby LT and frequently get sub 1/2' groups.

<kraut>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillybear:
Has anyone used the 115 gr. Ballistic Tip in .25/06 for deer( a pet load would be GREAT)? I got some in a trade a few months ago and they seem just about perfect for whitetail.
Also does anyone happen to know the BC and SD for this bullet?
Good Shooting,
HBB

I have never shot the 115 Nosler BT's, I do not know the SD of that bullet, but I do remember the Balistic Cceffceent is .456 BC
for the 115 Nosler Balistic Tip.. not too bad.
...the 100 Nosler BT is something like .398
I've never shot those either... I've shot only 3 dif bullets from my 25-06, but have reserched some of the best bullets for down range punch and tagectory..
bullets I have used are the

Sierra 75 HP (a BC of .195 CRAP), 3850 fps
85 grn Nolser BT (BC of .331), 3450-3705 fps
Berger 115 VLD (with a BC of .522) 3100-3200 fps

want to try the Barns 100 XBT in .257 caliber are supost to have a BC of .420, pretty good.

scott