Notify
Tools

Please Explain
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi All,
I tried a new load for 7mm RM Yesterday. Barnes 160gr TSX, Somchem S365 Powder (similar to IMR 4350), Fed215 primers and Norma brass.

Load # Load gr Velocity Ave Vel

58.5 2731
1 58.5 2719 2730
58.5 2740

59.0 2691
2 59.0 2695 2696
59.0 2701

59.6 2760
3 59.6 2770 2765
59.6 2765

Please explain why load 2 produced so much less velocity than load 1 & 3 (load 3 is obvious, but why less than load 1, velocity was very consistent though). All produced ± 1 MOA groups. In fact load 2 had the best grouping.

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not unusual to see a "flat spot" when making
fine adjustments at near max pressure.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If you have any in that group of reloads i would tear one down and double check the weight.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A half to a grain of powder at the weight.

I wouldn't expect to see much differants and there isn't.

25 to 30fps isn't that much less vel.

I shoot the best one for accuracy and go with that.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I've seem this too. Don't know why it occasionally happens.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the loads have very narrow extreme spreads. I agree with other forum member that it might be a flat spot. Going beyond your loads above, could go to eratic spreads. I would stick with the most stable and accurate one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume all three loads were seated to the same depth?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
I assume all three loads were seated to the same depth?

Yes all to the same length. I have rarely a need to play with seating depth. Maybe when I would like to squeeze the last 1/4" I'll do it. But all my loads are between 1/2 -1", for hunting sufficient for me!

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hivelosity:
If you have any in that group of reloads i would tear one down and double check the weight.
Dave[/QUOTE

Does anyone keep a "sample" of each load for reference. Maybe not a bad idea - at least until loads are tested. If anything goes wrong at least there'll be something to check! A thought I might consider.

Cheers
Johan

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone keep a "sample" of each load for reference. Maybe not a bad idea - at least until loads are tested. If anything goes wrong at least there'll be something to check! A thought I might consider

Nope. Can't remember ever needing it.

As to the original question I've seen it. Only a couple times in 100s of load developments. I never found anything above that point if I remember correctly. I remember on a REAL OVERBORE wildcat the velocity dropped with a couple increases.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
The challenge would be to load another batch at that weight and see what happens. it could be the best node.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Could the powder charge (or labels) for Load 1 and Load 2 actually been reversed?

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Shoot larger shot strings and I'm sure it will work out. Sometimes with small samplings the average speed is skewed.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
The challenge would be to load another batch at that weight and see what happens. it could be the best node.
Dave

I think that's what I'll do. All three groups' average point of impact was very close, less than an inch. Even whith the slight drop in velocity.

Cheers
Johan

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I find this strange - my friend here in NZ is also having difficulty with book loads achieving higher velocities. I get 3000 fps in my 280 Ack Imp with 160 gr Accubonds & Nosler book loads using N560.

My friend would be real keen on reliable safe loads for the 7mm Rem Mag that give 3000 fps with 160 gr accubond or 162 gr Amx / SST.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote