Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scales
 Login/Join

posted
Rcbs 505 vs rcbs m500 which is better. I found a new 505 at a dealer for 115.00 dollars.the m500 will cost 75.00 with shipping.just need a honest opinion on the best.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Save the money buy the 75.00 dollar one it well work just fine.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you are going to load a lot of ammo, I suggest you consider an electronic scale.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neither will be more, or less, accurate than the other.

Personally I'd see if you can acquire a set of anybody's...Lyman, RCBS or whomsoever...Ohaus made scales.

Forty plus years ago I went direct from RCBS 5-0-5 to RCBS 604. Never bought another scale since. It'll see me out.

Here in UK there's some say that the pointer on the M500 isn't so easy to read.

Bottom line? Buy a RCBS M500 and you're exporting jobs. It is Chinese made.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
+100

I got a simple electronic scale about 12 years ago and have never regretted spending the $20 on it. The RCBS balance beam is a great scale but it does need to be checked regularly if you are reloading a number of rounds (50+ in my case).

I find the electronic scales so quick and easy to use. They are accurate enough but do have very minor calibration issues. For example - it will not measure 49 gr. It will either do 48.9 or 49.1. The change is very abrupt with the addition of just 2 or 3 kernels of powder. This happens for the occasional load. Some loads will not change even when I add 4 or 5 kernels of powder.

For the 222 Rem, I use the RCBS powder thrower and check the odd charge with the electronic scale.

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
If you are going to load a lot of ammo, I suggest you consider an electronic scale.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried several different electronic scales and all have issues of one kind or another. I started out with a basic RCBS balance beam scale in 1973 and used that for many years, I've also had a Lyman 505 that I was pleased with. Currently I am using what many consider one of the best balance beam scales, the Ohaus 10-10. I have no plans on switching to anything else the 10-10 lives up to its reputation.

Posts: 412 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use my scale to adjust my Belding& Mull powder measure. Once set I'm good, it's probably the slowest, but the most accurate measure.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started reloading with an RCBS 505 scale but started having sticking issues and I bought another brand scale and it was crap so I returned it and bought an RCBS 10-10 scale and really like it better than the 505. I think all RCBS balance beam scales are Ohaus designs and are very accurate and I won't trust any other scale. My son uses an electronic system that weighs and pours the powder and seems okay with this, but it is not for me.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience I think you can do just fine with just a good beam scale. Electronic scales are nice but I find mine needs to be checked against the beam scale as it tends to drift during use. So my advice, for what it is worth, the 505 is just fine and will last forever. You'll still want it around even if you get a fancy electronic one.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like beam scales. The best of several I've owned, by far, is an older M5 refurbished by Scott Parker at Single Kernel Scales. (He acquires these when he can, tunes them and they come with a lifetime warranty.)

It is expensive (mine was, I believe, $200 or so) but it really does register 1 kernel change. Once zeroed, it is absolutely linear and reproducible. It is beautifully damped. It is the single most important item I own for reloading.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
I started reloading with an RCBS 505 scale but started having sticking issues and I bought another brand scale and it was crap so I returned it and bought an RCBS 10-10 scale and really like it better than the 505. I think all RCBS balance beam scales are Ohaus designs and are very accurate and I won't trust any other scale. My son uses an electronic system that weighs and pours the powder and seems okay with this, but it is not for me.

I started loading in the late 60s with an oil dampened scale, believe it was a Redding. Slower than Christmas in July, but accurate. I replaced it in the 70s with a RCBS 10-10, still using it to this day. I like it so much I recently purchased a used one to keep as a backup, just in case. I'm sure the electronic scales are fine, I just prefer my analog ones because I'm a curmudgeon.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By any chance was your oil-damped scale a Pacific? I got one back in the '60s too, and it was, as you say, slow but very accurate.

With your permission, I'll join you in your curmudgeon-ation. beer

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B L O'Connor:
By any chance was your oil-damped scale a Pacific? I got one back in the '60s too, and it was, as you say, slow but very accurate.

With your permission, I'll join you in your curmudgeon-ation. beer

Could well have been, It's long gone. It was a dark rusty red or maroon color as I recall. I would put the powder in the pan, twiddle my thumbs, whistle for a while, finally the pointer would settle. The 10-10 was a revelation to me, put the powder in and the magnetic damper settled the pointer immediately.

Ain't nothing wrong with being a curmudgeon.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty Red-Maroon is a Redding. I still have one and it is still quite sensitive and accurate and slow.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
Rusty Red-Maroon is a Redding. I still have one and it is still quite sensitive and accurate and slow.
Agree. My Pacific is a grayish blue.