THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

75gr AMAX stable in 1:10 twist 22-250AI?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
G'day all
I've reposted here to try and get more info.
I normally post in 1000yard BR because longer ranges are my interest, but I've got a question some of you may be able to answer.
I've acquired a cheap, new .224 calibre barrel. It's cheap because everyone in long range shooting wants a 1:8 twist, generally for 223s. This one is 1:10. My question is: will 75 grain A-MAXs be stable when shot through this barrel? Hornady states a minimum twist rate of 1:9 is required, but I've heard that the bullet is intended for 223 velocities. If I shoot it faster (22-250AI), it will spin faster. Will this stabilise the bullet?
I'll be using 69 grain MatchKings as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for other bullets? I've heard Hornady 75gr BTHP, Sierra 77gr MK and Nosler 77gr (FMJBTs? Ballistic tips?) What about JLK and Berger? I'd like a high BC so I can shoot it at short ranges, like 500-600 yards. But I also like bullets that make cute, furry animals twitchy. There's plenty of them Down Under. I hope Sierra brings out the 69 grain BlitzKing. That won't make foxes twitchy, it'll make them bitsy!
Thanks fellas
Ben

PS What about a good powder? I prefer Hodgdons because they're made in Australia, but I'll use whatever works best.

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe, but probably not. Go here and do a bit of math: http://members.aye.net/~bspen/math.html

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It could since the 22-250 rotates faster cause of its higher velocities it can stablize a 70 grain bullet with a 1 in 14 twist. most factory 22-250s have a 1 in 14 twist. It being ackley improved helps velocity about 50 fps or more i think plus your fast twist rate. sounds like a good idea to me and a nice deer cartrige. tell us how it shoots!

one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day fellas

Have you been to the Sierra site recently? They're asking shooters what bullets they'd like to see made (from a list). I've used all three of my legitimate email addresses to say that I "must have the 69 grain .224 BlitzKing now!" In my 1:10 twist 22-250AI it should turn varmints into fertiliser at longer ranges, even when the wind is up. And maybe they will shoot as well as the 69 grain MatchKings at the range.

There just aren't many deer in my part of the country, unfortunately. Shooting kangaroos is too damn easy, and carries an AU$10000 fine if you don't have all the necessary permits. But during lambing season only greenies have a problem with splattering foxes. And they're usually in front of their TV keeping warm by polluting the air by burning native timber to keep warm at that time of the night, anyway.

I wonder if I could hit a greenie at 400 yards with a 69 grain BlitzKing? Dumb so-and-sos would probably just stand there looking at the spotlight, wondering if Venus was rising and how it would affect their social security payments anyway. Maybe if I said there were free chickpea patties in the back paddock they would start running. Would that be more sporting? I don't think I care (LOL)!

I think I'll try the 65 grain JLK VLDs at the range.

Thanks
Ben (South Australia - cold in winter, but what's snow?)

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bjld,

Neither the 75 gr AMax nor the 80 gr MK will stablilize in my 1-9 twisted wildcat. My case holds 52 grs of powder. The 69 gr MK does not open well on woodchucks. The foxes here are of light build compared to chucks.

The form of the 69 MK yields a Ci of .301 and the 55 gr Blitz King is .271.

When I think of very long range as you mention the 7mm comes to mind. My .22's don't pack enough steam for beasts that far out.

If someone comes up with a bullet in .224" that will expand at long range I am all ears.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day Savage99

I think I'll be using the 69gr MKs exclusively for range work, but also if I want to keep a skin (and that's pretty rare). I don't expect to make fertiliser out of varmints except at closer ranges. But then again, I like to be too busy shooting to look at corpses for too long in the middle of the night.

At night it can be hard to judge the difference between 250 and 400 yards. It's nice if you don't have to hold over too high above a pair of glowing eyes at that sort of range. Hence my preference for a 22-250AI or better (faster). You only get one chance at a fox in the spotlight before it learns that they're unhealthy to look at.

But the 69gr BlitzKing Sierra is teasing me with sounds promising. It should hold together at 3400-3500fps (at the muzzle) and still cause a fatal injury at 250-400 yards. The 55gr BKs certainly inflict nasty looking wounds (ie where did that crow's rib cage go?) at shorter ranges. Let's all get on the Sierra website and vote for the 69gr BK now!

Happy hunting, Savage99
Ben