THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody reloading with Northfork bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those that reload with Northfork bullets, how are they different from other brands
such as distances from the land, amount of powder used to obtained the velocity of
previous bullets used within the same weight and accuracy.

<phurley>
posted
Norseman -- I have loaded North Fork bullets for some time now. They are different from other bullets in they are grooved on the shank, and bonded core frontal sections and solid rear sections. They are the most accurate tough premium bullet I have ever shot, and I have shot them all. I have shot the .300 Ultra mag, .338 as in .340 Wby, the .358 as in .358 STA, and .416 as in .416 Rem. ------ I usually seat my bullets to the max my magazines will allow, as I will be hunting with them, not just bench shooting them. They seat better than any other bullet I shoot. ------ As to pressures, every barrel has it's own personality, you will just have to try yours and see for yourself. I start less than max loads listed in the manuals and work my way up. Advice is given with the bullets, pay attention to that.------ I have taken only two Bull Elk with them, but now use them exclusively in the rifles I listed with plans for Alaska this year and Africa next. [Wink] Good luck and good shooting.

[ 06-04-2003, 00:54: Message edited by: phurley ]

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Norseman,

I just load them like normal, starting at minimum loads, and working up. Of course my experience is limited to the .416 versions, in my 416 Taylor.

They are the most accurate bullet my rifle has shot so far, and I've tried most of the major brands, including GS, Nosler, Barnes, and Hornady.

Here's some pics of two different bullets, bith recovered for 7 foot bears, one black, one brown (not my brownie, but I shot the 'insurance round' [Smile] )...

-
 -
 -

Good luck.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded and shot some .375 300 gr. NFs and have some loaded 30-06 rounds with 180 gr. bullets ready to take to the range.

One thing that will seem really strange is the "feel" that you will get when seating the bullets. You can feel the grooves sliding into the case as you seat the bullet. Very strange.

The .375s shot very well with almost all the loads tried in two different powders. If Mike could just get the price down about 20%, I would buy a lot more.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
Wow! Those look almost exactly like the old Nosler Zippedos.

Glad to see that the ring technology didn't die. Those few zippedo's, I have, shoot very accurately. [Smile]

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
North Forks are the most accurate bullet I have ever shot in all my calibers, they are just phenomenal IMO....

I have also shot more than a few Cape Buffalo, and plains game with them along with some deer, elk and one pronghorn antelope. I have a sock full of perfectly expanded bullets recovered on the off side under the skin of most of these animals and every single one of them would be perfect for an advertisement...I have never had one perform to less than perfection..I posted these bullets sometime back on AR

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just worked up a nice 358Win 200gr NF load! a dime sized 5-shot 1-hole group @ 50yds! I used 47grs of RL-10 for a AV=2605, ES=11, & SD=4. I think I`m on to something! Good luck

Posts: 68 | Location: Swartz Creek, Mich. | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I previously posted my results with the 270gr. NF in my 375 H&H. The short story is that my mediocre shooter has turned into a track driver with the NF's. I'm looking forward to trying it on game this fall.

Posts: 12930 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
ELB and Mark H. Young -- Your experiences are typical of mine with the North Forks. Once you load and shoot them, you are hooked and all the others seem second best. [Wink] Good shooting

<Sniper>
posted
A friend told me about these bullets and from what I have read I am impressed. I am going to order some Monday.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a bunch of the 270 .375's in my rifle and used them on a bunch of African game. I recovered three bullets (2 of them penetrated almost lengthwise of an oryx and a hartebeest), the two that were 100-150 yard shots weighed 265 and 266 grains. The third one was a finisher through both shoulders of an oryx at 20 yards and weighed 235 grains. My .375 loads chronographed 2770 fps, so impact velocity was just about that. OH, also they shoot .600-.700 in my rifle. I just ordered some 370 North Forks for a .416 I just got. The clincher is Mike Brady is probably the best person in the gun business I've ever dealt with. By the way, in my rifle, it required 2 grains less RL15 with the NF to get the same velocity as a 270 Hornady, so start low.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote