New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purple haze all in my brain
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My powder closet had a little bit of an acid odor the last couple of days.

Found about a half pound of AA 3100 that was decomposing. It was only about 15 years old and it had been stored in the same air conditioned area since I bought it.
You might want to check your 3100 if you have any. As I remember the original powder was all from one large lot. My container said made in Israel. It was really ripe complete with the purple/brown vapors that floated out when I opened it.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Only 15 years! That is scary.

Th fact that you could smell it in the closet while the can was closed tells me that it was not fully sealed.

I keep my powder in an ice-chest to regulate the temp(somewhat). I have noticed that there is always that nice solvent/powder smell when I open the ice-chest, so I assume the canisters are venting a bit. Maybe it is common for the containers to not completely reseal? I have never seen this discussed.

Great title BTW.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thatz where Hendrix has been hiding! Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBrown says,
quote:
...that nice solvent/powder smell...

I liken it to rubbing alcohol. But that's just me. What would it smell like if a powder has really gone around the bend?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob58
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun in your hand... Goin' down south to Mexico way... buy me some new AA3100.

Posts: 28 | Location: Piedmont of NC | Registered: 15 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
JBrown says,
quote:

I liken it to rubbing alcohol. But that's just me. What would it smell like if a powder has really gone around the bend?

Bad powder has a really strong "bad" smell from what I have been told. Is sure if you do a search in this forum you will find a description.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
JBrown says,
quote:

It smells like nitric acid or a little like battery acid.
It is nothing like the sweet ether smell most powder has.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Thatz where Hendrix has been hiding! Wink
Odds are over half the Board does not get the tie-in due to "age". Amazing(and strange to me) noise coming from musical instruments back then.

Can't remember the last time I heard any of it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That might be an age thing too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC, I am pretty young, but back in the 90s when i was in high school, i used to listen to jimmi. Good tunes man...

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are both probably right. The stations I listen to have Rhonda Vincent and The Rage, Hank Sr., Conway, Loretta, Ferlin - you know, people who could/can actually sing and carry a tune. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yesterday, nothing wrong with a little Jimi. Abita's Purple Haze is good, too.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
You are both probably right. The stations I listen to have Rhonda Vincent and The Rage, Hank Sr., Conway, Loretta, Ferlin - you know, people who could/can actually sing and carry a tune. Big Grin

You mean like Wooly Goat Nelson and Kris Kristopherson..... Yeah right they can sing like a toad.

I guess you have never tried Youtube.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
You mean like Wooly Goat Nelson and Kris Kristopherson..... Yeah right they can sing like a toad. ...
Thats a couple of them. tu2 Slim Whitman, Gene Autrey, Marty Robins, Crystal Gayle, Tex Ritter, DOLLY, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, Whisperin Bill Anderson, and on and on.

I'm not real familiar with the names of the current crop of people who "claim"( animal ) they are making Country music. Nor am I familiar with the Rap, Hippity Hop nor Gang music folks. But if it keeps them off Welfare, I'm all for them making thier noise. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Willy, Waylon, and the boys? Prefer older to new. Too much Pop in today's country.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
My powder closet had a little bit of an acid odor the last couple of days.

Found about a half pound of AA 3100 that was decomposing. It was only about 15 years old and it had been stored in the same air conditioned area since I bought it.
You might want to check your 3100 if you have any. As I remember the original powder was all from one large lot. My container said made in Israel. It was really ripe complete with the purple/brown vapors that floated out when I opened it.
Woh Lay off the acid man!
What did you do with the powder?
The radio I lission to is Sean Hannity Mark Livin, Wilkow, and sometimes Glenn Beck.
WHen I m not lissing to classical or rock/metal.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote