Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Small" Pistol Primers in .45 ACP
 Login/Join

posted
I just read somewhere that Winchester is going to start using "SMALL Pistol Primers" in their .45 acp........

Bummer ....if this is true.

When reloading with Indoor range "pick up Brass"....(mine and others that get mixed in)....................How would we separate the "small" from the "large" primer socketed cases ??????

Can one "visually" tell one from the other; reliably ??

Would one have to "measure" (go-nogo gauge ??) ????

PITA !

Hope this does NOT come to past !

What do you all think ???

It is the Mark
Of an Instructed Mind
Not to seek Exactness
But to accept the degree of precision
To which the nature of a subject
Will admit.
Aristotle

Posts: 11 | Location: No VA | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have not heard the rummor but it is something I will think about when scrounging used brass.

Small Pistol Primers are smaller than Large Pistol Primers you won't have any trouble visually telling them apart. If you try to load with a mixed batch of large and small they wont' fit and will be a PITA.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Winchester already uses them in some of their factory loads. I haven't reloaded any with a small primer, because I have about 600 large pistol primers to go through.

Anyone know what is the resoning behind going to small primers?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The Winchester loads with small primers are their NT "non toxic" loading. The cases are reloadable but IMO not worth the hassle.

They will screw up your afternoon if your running a progressive loader and have a handful mixed with regular brass.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
The Winchester loads with small primers are their NT "non toxic" loading. The cases are reloadable but IMO not worth the hassle.

They will screw up your afternoon if your running a progressive loader and have a handful mixed with regular brass.

True, It's called "The Win-Clean" line. And it's only in the Win-Clean line where they're doing it.Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
I've loaded a few and didn't notice any difference between the lg/sm performance. But I load on a single stage press. I don't think the 45 holds enough powder to warrant the large primer. The gun and cases looked as clean with the sm as with the lg.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote