Find
Notify
Tools

A Question About Winchester Primers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Leo M
posted
Is there any pratical or real world difference between the old silver primer verses the the new gold primer? If I use the old silver primer will it react to a reload the same as the newer gold primer? Pressure, accuracy etc. The primer in question I am going to use is the silver WLRM. As allways thanks for any help.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 25 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Slightly different materials were used to make the primers. The silver ones are a bit harder than the new gold ones. Performance wise I don't think you will notice any difference.

Posts: 16 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
leo. If you change any component it is always wise to reduce and work back up.
If you are switching from a standard primer to a magnum primer the burn rate and pressure will change.
If your loads are at max or near max I would reduce the load a few 10ths of a grain and work up.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Win Lge Rifle primers in both my .25-06 adn .22-250 loads. I noticed absolutely no difference between old silver and new brass primers when I switched. My groups were just as good and consistent, even when I intentionally mixed primers in the same group.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"