THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.5x57mm mannlicher-schoenauer reloading info.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
A friend has asked me to load some ammo for his 9.5x57 mannlicher rifle. He has the dies. Not being familiar with this cartridge I did a little checking on the internet and didn't find much info. on actual loads. A couple of questions:

1. 9.5 millimeters equals approx. .374 inches so I'm thinking this cartridge can use standard .375 diameter bullets. Is this correct?

2. My friend doesn't have a shell holder to go with his dies but I've read where folks have been making brass for this cartridge from good old 30/06 cases. If that's correct my 06 shell holder should work. Is this correct?

3. My friend won't be shooting anything but paper with his rifle so I'm thinking a mid level load with light weight 375 bullets will work for his purposes. Does anyone have any reloading data that they can share? He has some ammo, brass and dies so we will be starting from scratch for components.

Amny help that can provided will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would use 9x56 loads which are in the Big Bore book by rifle magazine. They used 250 grain bullets. Your larger bore will have lower pressures. If you can't find anything else.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
A friend has asked me to load some ammo for his 9.5x57 mannlicher rifle. He has the dies. Not being familiar with this cartridge I did a little checking on the internet and didn't find much info. on actual loads. A couple of questions:

1. 9.5 millimeters equals approx. .374 inches so I'm thinking this cartridge can use standard .375 diameter bullets. Is this correct? Yes

2. My friend doesn't have a shell holder to go with his dies but I've read where folks have been making brass for this cartridge from good old 30/06 cases. If that's correct my 06 shell holder should work. Is this correct? Yes

3. My friend won't be shooting anything but paper with his rifle so I'm thinking a mid level load with light weight 375 bullets will work for his purposes. Does anyone have any reloading data that they can share? He has some ammo, brass and dies so we will be starting from scratch for components. Look for 9.3x57 load data, it should be very close.

Amny help that can provided will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help. I am planning on using 9.3x57 brass when I start loading for my 9.5x57.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 262 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, 9.3x57 pressures are kept low for the many small ring mausers they were made on; around 40K psi.
Vita Vuori book lists 50 grains of N140 with a 255 grain bullet.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made 9.3 x 57 mm brass by sizing in one pass 8 X 57 brass with Hornady dies and lubing the inside of the necks with Imperial Sizing Wax. I'm pretty sure you could do the same for the 9.5 X 57. If he is only going to target shoot with I would stick with the 235 gr. Speers (fairly cheap).

Hip

P.S. Annealing the necks would help with the sizing up !

Posts: 1894 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2331 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Here's a load I used for the 9,5x57 M-S (in its British identical twin form the .375 2-1/4" rimless nitro express) to pretty much match the rather low pressure factory specs:

brass made from 30'06
270 gr .375" Hornady round nose
48 grs IMR 3031
overall length 3.035"
velocity in a 24" barrel averaged about 2200 fps

This matched what the 1921 Nobel (Kynoch) catalog shows for factory 9,5x57

Recoil was more than I prefer, even in a heavier 24" barrel rifle, but you could use the same load substituting a 235 gr Speer like Hipshoot mentions above for a more pleasant round, especially if you are loading for a 1910 M-S carbine. They are light!

Hope this helps

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Please see the other thread on Big bores.

I use 9.3X57 Norma brass and fire formed with 20 gr of shotgun powder and some tissue paper - saved the cost of bullets and got perfectly fire formed cases.

I also got some reformed brass from Buffalo bore (??) - the people who also sell the CH4D dies. They sell brass formed from 35 Whelan cases - trimmed.

You can use any standard 270, 308 case shell holder.

Loads

Try 250 gr Sierra SP bullets with 47 gr IMR 3031 for around 2100 fps. You can increase that to 2400 fps for safe loads.

If you can find older 250 to 270 gr Round nose softs, they will work better in the rotary magazine of the Mannlicher Schoenauer.

I am really keen to see how you go as I am developing loads for my open sight take down model 1910 MS rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11254 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote