Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY case tumbler?
 Login/Join

posted
I don't reload a huge about of brass each year and at UK prices, I don't really want to shell out on a case tumbler. Does anyone have any ideas, plans or suggestions for making one? I must confess i have never seen one in working so I have no idea how fast they go or what actual actions takes place. I have an old electric screwdriver which has fairly low RPM but has quite torque for its size. I am thinking this might be a suitable motor???

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, I'd take that screwdriver and a case chuck and steel wool if you're going to polish that few.

But if you're determined to build a tumbler, I'd suggest you take a plastic container and strap it to something that vibrates like an electric massager or a ....well, a massager.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two types: tumbler kind and vibrating kind. I would think the tumbling kind would be the easiest to build. It would function just like a clothes dryer with the media and brass falling over each other as the tub rotates on the horizontal shaft. Just regulate the speed.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Here's a link that might help you:
http://home.speedsoft.com/theashes/tumbler/tumbler.html
HTH
Rick

Posts: 47 | Location: California | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
I don't reload a huge about of brass each year and at UK prices, I don't really want to shell out on a case tumbler. Does anyone have any ideas, plans or suggestions for making one? I must confess i have never seen one in working so I have no idea how fast they go or what actual actions takes place. I have an old electric screwdriver which has fairly low RPM but has quite torque for its size. I am thinking this might be a suitable motor???

Regards,

Pete

While the wife is out toss your brass and walnut shells into two pillow cases. Run in clothes dryer on no heat cycle for an hour or so.

Wally

[ 07-14-2003, 10:42: Message edited by: wallyw ]

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get an electric ice cream maker. Put in your media and brass. Lay it on it's side and turn it on. Instant case tumbler.

bobg [Big Grin]

Posts: 45 | Location: W.N.Y. | Registered: 17 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote