New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you find your accuracy load??
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
Most of the literature I have read concerning powder states that you are most likely to find the best accuracy nearer to the starting load than max. but after three years of reloading for various hunting rifles I have found that in most of the bolt actions I have reloaded for my best accuracy usualy came, closer to max., most of the time within a grain or less. Anyone else had simular experiences?

<Sooner>
posted
I agree, I have noticed that most of my best loads are just a couple grains under max. I like to reach absolute max in my rifles, which is usually over book max, then I know where I am. But my most accurate loads are almost always just under book max, and not my rifles max.

Sooner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes grasshopper!

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I currently load for 7 different cal/rifles. All loads that produce the best accuracy are within 1 gr. of the listed max book loads.

------------------
If guns are outlawed, Only outlaws will have guns.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I more often find accuracy near maximum than with milder loads. This MAY have something to do with the heavier charge of powder more nearly filling the case, which promotes more consistent ignition and burning. Also, I have had better luck with a slow-for-caliber powders which completely fill the case or may be slightly compressed than with faster powders which leave significant air space in the case.

The use of relatively faster powder (which requires less powder, and is therefore less expensive per shell) is one thing which is disadvantageous in factory loads (in my admittedly prejudiced opinion). You know what I mean -- shake a standard factory load and you can hear/feel the powder rattling around in there.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the mild side
Both my former 7mmRM Sako and my new 7-08 Rem prefers load on the mild to get really good accuracy/
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
There is a "ladder" technique for developing loads and a variation that includes incremental changes in seating depth also.

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Laddertest.htm

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 02-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Don Martin29 (edited 02-22-2002).]

<heavy varmint>
posted
Don, Very interesting, sound like it has merrit, The only thing that has me puzzled about it is that what if your best accuracy is near max would the fouling from the 20 prior shots scue the results? "MAYBE" and I'm definetly no expert, it would be best to go with 3 fouler shots, 10 group shots, then clean and do step one over with the remaining 13 shots or does anyone think that the fouling wouldn't be an issue in this type of test.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I find my best accuracy and lowwest SD whith a slightly compressed load of IMR 4064.

------------------
Life is more exitin' when yer stickin' suppositories inta a wildcats behind!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote