New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning brass after sizing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I made an observation whilst anealing the necks of several hundered rounds of brass.

Holding the brass in my fingers, the brass got cooler when the neck hit the flame. Hmmmmmm.

Then I noticed the brass was fogged at first hit with the flame, then the fogged part cleared from neck to base, then the neck and shoulder would turn color (hit the majic temperature) and I'd drop them in the water.

Once in a while I'd get a small flame from inside the case.

AAAAH HA! Too much case lube still on the cases. AND they'd been tumbled clean!

SO here's the question - two part:

a) what do y'all do routinely for cleaning after resizing?

b) is it not logical to assume that the occasional one with a little more lube left inside would shoot a little differently? (Much the same principle as damp wood may burn but slowly from the cooling of the water.)

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ill either just take a bore mop drape a rag over it and shove it in the neck and wipe out any lube, Or when I use alot of lube when makeing brass for my 9.3x57 from 8x57 , ill put the brass in some boiling water with a bit of dish detergent in there and slosh em around awhile with a spoon like im makin chili.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For large rifle cases I usually do tumble after sizing and wiping the lube off as excessive lube does not always come off well in the tumbler.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wash all sized cases in 90% isopropyl alcohol to get rid of the lube. Otherwise it can continue to pick up grit and dirt.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just run a bronze brush inside the neck of your case prior to loading. Just do an In and Out. It is what we BenchRest shooters do when loading at a match. Don't work if a tiny bit may be in the case...it all gets burned and it won't make a difference in your load.

However, you may want to reduce the amount of lube you are using. Shouldn't have alot of excess.

Try using some Imperial Sizing wax. A little goes a long way.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick responses. I just ran another batch. Store-bought factory ammo (doesn't happen often). The fog appearing and fading is from the flame of the propane tourch.

But, there was no cooling of the brass.

That says to me there is from current procedures a little excess on the outside and occasionally inside.

Imperial has a good reputation, might just have to try it.

What about the inside of the neck? It needs SOMETHING for lube for the expander ball or for a Sinclair spindle.

Washing the brass is going to get cranked in to my routine too.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about the inside of the neck? It needs SOMETHING for lube for the expander ball or for a Sinclair spindle.

If you use Imperial you can take the case mouth and rub it on your finger. It will pick up lube and place some in the inside or you can use some on a Q-tip and apply. When I use std dies with an expander ball...I take out the ball and give it a coating of Imperial. This works also.