Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TripleShock 30.06,any info available
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted
Will be loading some 30.06 using Barnes Triple shock bullets for my Tika. Does anyone have experience or load data with this bullet, I've been using Nosler Balistic Tips up to now but find them to cause too much meat damage due to the explosiveness of the round.
Thanks to all.

Keep all our brothers & sisters fighting the good fight in your thoughts.

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont have load data but I think barnes has some posted on their website. I got away from the ballistic tip too for the same reason. The Accubond does the same thing. I am also interested in the TSX for .270 winchester and .308 winchester.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the FAQ section of the Barnes site, they give some recommendations on start loads, all based on their #3 Manual and standard X bullets in similar weight.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I am shooting the 168 grain TSX in my '06. I plan on using them for plains game in 3 weeks in Limpopo.

My load is 61.5 grains of Reloader 19. It gives 1.25" groups and 2950(24" barrel)fps velocity. I think you wil find it to be a good load also. In my rifle this load is 0.5 grain below max.

Since you are a new member, I make this safety statement please remember to start at least 10% below this as a starting point and work your way up.

Good Shooting,
BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1218 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted Hide Post
I'll be receiving the Barnes #3 book by Tue. next week, be happy to post the load data for both the .270 & .308 for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Brumbelow:
I dont have load data but I think barnes has some posted on their website. I got away from the ballistic tip too for the same reason. The Accubond does the same thing. I am also interested in the TSX for .270 winchester and .308 winchester.

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like BigBullet, I'm planning on the 168 grs TSX for my '06. My experience with the TSX bullets thus far (.257 Wby, .270 Win, .300 Win Mag, .375 H&H), leads me to believe they are fairly unproblematic with respect to pressure - in contrast to the regular X. In my rifles, I have found I could use "normal" loading data (i.e. for non-X bullets) for my TSX loads. In some rifles, I have been able to use max book loads, in others I have stayed below - so that is probably about "normal". Start low and work up.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had the same experience as mho in 25-06, 270 Win, 280, 308, 30-06, 7 Rem Mag and 338 Win Mag. The 270 was well above typical jacketed bullets, others near or at max book loads.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also used the 168 gr t-shock in a 24 inch 06. 62.5 grs of RL-22 gave me 2875 fps and grouped 4 into 1.25.
I have liked the tripples shocks in my .257 Roberts , and 7X57. And although they shot well in my .270, they foweld the barrel inmy 270 badly so I am back to conventional bullets in that rifle...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
54gr of H-414 gives me about 2750 with subject bulletout of my 22" Featherweight Model 70. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
30.06: 168TSX, 55.0 H4350

180TSX, 53.0 H4350

270: 130TSX, 57.0 Re19

110 TSX, 57.0 IMR4350

All groups under 3/4" in my rifles.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Just started playing with a buddy's 06 and 168 grain TSXs. H4350 is showing some promise, as is Re19.

Posts: 3298 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted Hide Post
I received the Barnes #3 book & after looking it over I decided to go with the followig load for my .06: 165gr TSX, 59gr IMR4350 (call them & they said that I should go up to 2gr above max load in book 57gr because of low presures. Started @56gr & worked up to 59gr)& Federal 210m primers. Very happy so far, printed @~2865fps with 1 inch MOA.
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Brumbelow:

posted Hide Post
Broken Arrow, I'm on to you! 1 MOA? Maybe 2Shot, but not you!

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
168 TSX, .050" off lands, WW Brass, WLR Primer, 58.0 to 58.5 gr's H4350, .6" three shot groups on average over several months.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have been using Barnes in multiple calibers exclusively for medium and large game for years. Their terminal performance is unmatched. I ran into an absence of load data when the TSX first came out. So I chroned up the loads I was developing. Discovered that a max charge for the TSX is approx. midway between the max amount indicated in the Barnes manual for the X and the XLC (their blue coated X) for the same caliber and weight of bullet.

Do read the info on the Barnes site prior to loading them. Since they are solid copper they require slightly different loading tehchniques.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote