THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: 30/06, 180 grain Bullet 2900 fps? Published Proof

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 30/06, 180 grain Bullet 2900 fps? Published Proof
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I called Hodgdon, and it is indeed a misprint by the printer. The bullet weight SHOULD have been 165 grains.

With that said, the 165 at 2938 fps is still a fine load, and the game in question will not notice that the bullet is 15 grains lighter.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huge - I have notices this error in other "free flyer" pamplets that Hodgdon and others publish that show higher velocities for a heavier projectile than is normally possible. When checked with other reloading references the error is apparent "there are no free lunchs". Of course the unsuspecting reloader my get to try the overload, but the first round fired will "highlight" his error. By-the-way, the Barnes #3 does list 8 loads in the 30/06 over 2900fps, but only with its 180gr. "blue" X bullets (no pressure data given). Even though I agree with Ray that 2700fps is plenty of power with a 30/06, I'm anxious to try these special "magnum" loads for accuracy. I also thought their loads published was a misprint because I first saw them on there web site and the powder charges were much the same as I would use for the 165gr bullets; however, they have turned out to be the "real McCoy". Good information on this thread as to why few of the mauals agree as to what is max. It seems that everytime an "old military" cartridge is listed, most manuals tend show less than max pressure loads. They also seem to do the same with old (previously) "wildcated" cartidges such as the 35 Whelen in deference to older military actions being used by customers. Occasionally reloading mauals will publish data that is to be used for: "only the stronger bolt action rifles in good condition" (eg. 8x57 Mauser). The old "saw" that each gun is different as to how it handles pressure could never be truer with all the array of new bullets, powder, and cases available to the shooter/reloader. It sure makes reloading more interesting, but more expensive trying all those hundreds of combinations. My first goal is accuracy with sufficient velocity to do the job at the maximum range that I can make a "sure" shot (not some "marketeers" idea of long range). However, I sure don't mind experimenting, safely, with loads that will make one rifle/caliber more versatile or more pleasant to shoot.
Thanks for the info. Riley

Posts: 32 | Location: MO | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The effective pressure acting on the base of the bullet is the area UNDER the pressure curve. The peak pressure is simply the highest point on that curve. A long, relatively flat curve can yeid more effective pressure than one with a high peak that drops off sharply...even if the flat curve has a lower peak pressure.

Effective pressure determines velocity, not peak pressure.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Denton beat me to the punch! I guess that also answers the "bearing surface" variable doesn't overcome a missprint.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray - What load or loads did you use to take Cape Buffalo with a 30/06? How many shots, what was the reaction of the Buffalo, etc? I too have not been able to tell much difference between the effect of the 30/06 and the .30 cal. magnums on game other than a little flater trajectery; and that a premium bullet had better be used on the magnum if "up close" shots are expected. However, I have a reloading friend who swears his magnum has much more terminal effect than the old standard of the same caliber. Riley

Posts: 32 | Location: MO | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
I was not one of your critics but I am looking at the Hodgens reloading magazine under 30-06 on page 99 and I don't see that load...Perhaps I have an older book since mine does not show Short cut 4831...

Would you kindly quote me the load etc. I would like to shoot it in my 06 across my chronograph, that kind of load is equal to the Fed and Hornady enhanced factory stuff...It surly peaks my interrest to say the least.

Posts: 41998 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
1- Learn to read pressure signs.

2- Start low and work up.

Thats all anyone really needs to know about this.
What Eldeguello and Bob Hagel said..

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Define Sociopath from your prospective?.

If learning the parameters of my rifle and finding the results out by my own hand instead of just reading it in a book makes me a sociopath, then I gladly take the title. We need a few more sociopaths on here then instead of an oversupply of ARM CHAIR ballisticians.

So in the future Bradley, If I get a negative response from you I can use it as a reinforcement that I just might be on the right track? That would make a good litmus test. Thanks for the tip.

So you left San Fran at age two, which would put you as still being born there? So that may prove the theory, you can take the boy out of the city but you can't take the city out of the Boy.

Two years, even at two years old is all it took huh?

Either it is the Pixey Dust in San Fran also, or what else are the faggots down there doing in the water?

Still wish you and the Barrel with the Pixey Dust on it good hunting this season, unless you are one of those animal rights activists driving around in the Range Rover.

cheers
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote