THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New To Reloading the 35 Whelen Questions....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
After a year long wait I received my 35 Whelen. It is a Zastava action based rifle with a Shilen #5 contoured barrel with 1-14 twist on a Boyd's Grayish/Silver composite stock. (I no gots $5-10 grand)toppe with a Leupold 2.5-8 and I am finally in serious 'like' with this rifle!

It was everyone's posts here that convinced me to go with the 35 Whelen. Now that I have it in hand I wanted to start find loads for it. HOWEVER, it seems things have changed in the realm of reloading powders, pressures, velocity, bullets, etc. since the last books came out.

I found that RE-15 spoke volumes, so I purchased some with a variety of 225gr and 250gr bullets to try. As I was waiting for my rifle to come in I found that basically 59-60gr RE15 for 225gr bullets and around 57 gr RE15 for 250gr fodder was the norm. In fact some of my older books mention these loads. Now I look up RE15 online, my new books..and if they ARE mentioned or if even RE15 is mentioned (which it seems it isn't in some)the loads are much less...and alot! Saving all the pre-emptive typical answers 'use the book, try the Oehler, work up loads, etc.' what happened? Why does it change so much? I looked forward to wringing out the best from this new rifle, but I honestly now do not know where to start or where my finishing point it. I sure do not have the equipment to check over max, even the small minute calipers it takes to check .0001 to 2 case head expansion. It even seems that some companies either shun certain powders or certain bullets. Even the Alliant website only mentions Speer bullets. There are ALOT of good bullets and ALOT of good powders out there for us to use and try. I do not have the whys, wherefores, etc. to speculate all this stuff. It was even a monumental success I had a semi-custom to be built! LOL! So I would appreciate any and all successes everyone who reloads for the venerable 35 Whelen has had in the past!

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saving all the pre-emptive typical answers 'use the book, try the Oehler, work up loads, etc.' what happened? Why does it change so much?

Well, one reason for the changes over the years, is that companies do make minor changes to their powders as technology makes new chemicals and processes practical for manufacturing.

Alliant has changed owners a couple of times over the years, and I do believe that provides the impetus to change a powder or line of powders from their original formula.

If you want the most current load data for Rl 15, I would recomend using the load data on the Alliant Web Site. I then check that data against my Lyman and Hornady manuals. While I do have PO Ackley books, the load data is so old, I use the loads listed to satisfy my desire for nostalgia.

Good luck with that 35 Whelen!! I do enjoy mine!! I use Sierra 225gr bullets, and IMR 4895 powder for my pet load.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 35 Whelen also, so I know what you're speaking of about the change in reloading data.

I mainly load with IMR 4064, which overlaps with RL 15 in charge weights and bullet velocity.

Just like RL 15, the older data on IMR 4064 was way hotter, and while there might have been some slight differences in burn rate for both powders manufactured years ago, I think the main difference is an appreciation that chamber pressures were higher with the older loads than manufacturers realized.

For example, I found older data for 56 grains IMR 4064 with a 250 grain bullet for nearly 2700 fps. First off, over my chronograph, that load gives just over 2600 fps, but moreover, it is clearly a very high pressure load, and not something I would shoot repeatedly.

I think my most recent manuals list something like 52 or 53 grains of the same powder for the hottest loads at that bullet weight (I don't have my manual in front of me as I type this).

Bottom line, the 35 Whelen was probably loaded routinely to 60-65,000 psi in the past, and most all manufacturers are leary of pressures like that today.

I shoot the Ackley Improved version, and load 55 grains IMR 4064 with 250 grain Swift Aframes, which is well over maximum in my manuals.
My Dakota Model 10 handles it well, and I think I am within safe parameters for my gun, especially given that I can get 10 or more reloads from each case, without signs of excessive pressure.

Remember that the 35 Whelen was a wildcat for almost 50 years, and it was a wildcat that people routinely tried to outdo each other with their own private loads.

It's still a great cartridge. Get ready to purchase a new freezer for what you kill with it.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I like Varget under 225 Sierras or Nosler Accubonds/Ballistic Tips. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
Am I wrong or is there a resurgence of the .35 Whelen? I really look forward to it warming up and becoming once again one of those who hold tightly to his heritage.

Thanks for your insight. I will go ahead and stick to the book loads for the time being. Only issue is that Speer bullets is one of those I didn't buy, so the Alliant website ain't gonna much give me some help...LOL! But will try some Varget for the Nosler's I did buy.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Renegade,

Just because Alliant may not list the specific brand bullet you are using, I would not hesitate to use the data for a different brand bullet of the same weight.

As always, start low and work up the load, looking for signs of pressure, ie. flattened primers, tight extraction, short case life, etc.

Even if you were using the Speer manual, the need to carefully work up the load does not change.

I have noticed an increase of interest in the old wildcat in recent years. It is a very useful cartridge, and has a fine legacy.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Renegade:
I have been shooting the 35 Whelen since the early 1970's, and the loads that were shown in the Speer Manual, #8, by todays standards would appear to be hot. The load I have used most over the years is 56/4064/250Speer,or Nosler Partition. In my rifle this load as N.Garret said, chronos at about 2650fps out of my 24" Remington action rifle. I have never had any high pressure indications with this load since I started using it. An interesting note, the same Speer Manual, #8, showed 58/4064/250Whatever as the top load.My best friend owns a Whelen on a 98 action, his rifle likes 59/RL15/250 Nosler Partition. Both of our rifles shoot right at .75". Both loads are deadly on buffalo, with the Nosler partition going thru and zinging across the prairie. I also really like 56/4064/Nosler 225 Ballistic Tip/2725fps. We also used this load on buffalo, and it also passed thru at 80yds.

The most important thing about all this discussion, is each rifle is an individual, and the performance/pressures are dictated by the bore, throat length, and action set up.If you choose 4064 or RL15, as you work thru the load data, I believe your rifle will let you know what it prefers, and will give the signs of high pressure when your power charges get to stiff.

Regards

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My tricked out 721's go-to powder is 58.4g of BLC-2 over a 250g Hornady RN, WLR primer, Rem. Brass and Lee Factory crimped. My rifle also likes 56.4g of IMR 4064 w/ the 225g Accubond. I have a 24" Douglas #5 heavy sporter w/ a 1/12 twist.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't improve on any of the above info. But remember, along with those critter stomping, shoulder thumping 250gr loads, you can also shoot 158gr 38 special\357mag pistol bullets for general plinking and smaller game taking. The old Whelen is one helluva versatile cartridge.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen to the mention of using .357 pistol bullets!

That's exactly what I do for offhand practice at 25 yards...shooting at cans, bottle caps and rats.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
First and foremost....
Thank you ALL for Hoisting the Colors! Thank you for sailing the Tonkin Gulf during the 60's to carrying our Colors in Iraq and Afghanistan! You keep the wolf from the door.

I think it interesting is that no one so far has really mentioned Reloader 15 as a powder of choice...however, IMR 4064 has been mentioned more than once. And Dave? I think the icing on the cake that sold me on the Whelen is using the 158gr pistol type bullets!

Guess it is time to get serious. Now the only issue is that it is rather cold back here...even for eastern NC compared to the summers and fall. So may have to try some now and then work some up during the summer to see if there are any changes in pressure. Does anyone know if RE 15 is temperature sensitive?

Mike
USMC '74-'95

One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted Hide Post

Remington M700 Classic
225 Grain Nosler Partition
58 grains Reloader 15

My rifle will shoot around an
inch at 200 yards.

I clobbered a nice oryx with this
load this week. One shot.

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Renegade,

While some powders are more sensitive to temprature change, all powders are affected to some degree. I always do load development in temps that I expect to expereince during use of that rifle. I use my 35 during the winter months, so load development is done during winter temps.

Why add another variable to the equation? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
Renegade,

While some powders are more sensitive to temprature change, all powders are affected to some degree. I always do load development in temps that I expect to expereince during use of that rifle. I use my 35 during the winter months, so load development is done during winter temps.

If you put a temp sensor in a case and put it in your chamber on a hot day, it will say 80 degrees F.

If you put a temp sensor in your chamber on a cold day after firing 4 shots, it will say allot hotter than 80 degrees.

That is why Bart Bobbit at Camp Perry aims lower if the cartridge sits in a hot chamber.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:
Renegade,

If you put a temp sensor in a case and put it in your chamber on a hot day, it will say 80 degrees F.

If you put a temp sensor in your chamber on a cold day after firing 4 shots, it will say allot hotter than 80 degrees.

That is why Bart Bobbit at Camp Perry aims lower if the cartridge sits in a hot chamber.

I am certain of this fact. Even on a cold day, if you let a cartridge sit in a hot chamber long enough, it will warm up the powder, and change the point of impact.

Still, when I am doing load development, I allow time between shots for the barrel to cool. I do very little rapid fire shooting, and my Garand will shoot a tight enough group in rapid fire, that the short time in a hot chamber is not having an adverse effect on the cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 35 whelen Imp. and I love it. I use H-380, and it gives me very nice groups. .635" with nosler 225 BT's. H-380 may not be the fastest powder out there, but it meters very well, and I use it for several other calibers so I don't have to have 10-15 cans of different powders on the shelf. Good luck and have fun with your new rifle.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 35 Whelen is of the Ackley Improved variety and with 250 grain bullets, RL-15 has been far and away the best powder for it.

Posts: 665 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who's got load data for 357 mag bullets for 35 whelen?

Also has anyone used them for hunting deer?

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Renegade, on recommendations, I tried Reloader 15 with Hornady 200, Speer 250, and Sierra 225's. I got high pressure way before the loads guys here quote. Please be careful and start low.

My loads, 200 Hornady and Reloader 15, or 250 speer and IMR4064, CCI or Winchester standard primers.

33806Whelen, I use Remington 180 grain hollow points, .357 diameter. I use surplus wc846 (like BL-C2) and magnum primers for hot, cheap loads. I use Blue Dot for light, fun loads. I can give you ranges of charges that were safe for me, if you want.

I haven't tried the 158's yet. I did find a couple boxes of cast lead wadcutters.

I killed a deer with the Remington 180 Hollow point/wc846 load. I hit the deer in the ribs, broadside. It exited, the deer dropped and wiggled for a bit, but didn't run. I think I got hearing damage from that shot. WC846 is really loud!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:

Speer for sure, and I think, Accurate.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by 33806whelen:

Speer for sure, and I think, Accurate.

Lyman 48 and Sierra also list data for 158 gr. 357 bullets.

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
Who in their right mind shoots this thing?!! And shoot it more than a couple times? I mean...come on now. "Oh yeah...Hey James...you and me gotta come up with a wildcat! Lets neck up the venerable 30-06 to .358 cal. We can shoot 250 grain bullets outta this thing! I mean not like the 30-06 won't do most anything on the continent anyone in their right mind would want. Oh no. Lets do this!!", Col. Whelen says.

Nope...just had to learn myself. I HAD to have one. I even had to reload for it. No one once through the whole ordeal of ordering, watching it being built, even on here mentioned that not only would it kick...but a MULE ain't got nothing on this!300 WinMag...shin-shmag! LOL! NEVER ever had anything kick so hard in my entire life! I did manage to get it sighted in and have 14 rounds down range before my shoulder was jelly. LOL! Picture the pitcher who just ran a no hitter with the icepak wrapped on his shoulder. It's so stiff I can hardly move it!!!

I honestly am chomping at the bit. I cannot wait to go shoot it again!!! This rifle is awesome!!! Althought I might have to go get a Decelerator pad on it! Thanks guys!! Now once I get through the 225grainers..I have a few 250's waiting in the wings that need shot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
recoil? The 35 whelen's a pussycat.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Renegade, that is funny stuff! Mine is almost built, but not quite, and I am having the sights regulated for 250s. It will be scoped, but I plan on being able to shoot the 250s with irons, should I ever get flush enough to go to Africa for a plains game hunt. I have also ordered some of the Barnes TSX bullets for load workup.

Oh, by the way, my Whelen has a skeletonized butt plate. That means no pad. Period...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
I see all of ya...all huddle up there in the corner snickering your butts off!!! TEEHEEE...we got another one. Ole Renegade! Yep..yep..yep.

A pussycat? Compared to what??? A 600 NitroLaser Whomyababble based off a necked down 40mm cannon case? And Doubless? Those Barnes are what I was shooting over some RECOMMENDED IMR4064. And I haven't even come close to hitting the top loads yet! Needless to say...this thing is NOT going to be my go to rifle.....for deer!

This dang thing so kewl! It is awesome. Glad I got it. I cannot wait...but right now my freezer is bare of ice and will need at least a day or two for my shoulder to heal...AND get me to the gunsmith for the pad. I THINK I might get a couple more down range with a pad on before the shoulder locks up...next time.

This rifle is more than I dreamed of. I am truly happy and in some serious like. Now I know why the resurgence of the 35 Whelen.

Hmmm...so...whats next? An AR based 20inch barreled .35 Whelen?