Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

surplus powder
 Login/Join

posted
Ordered some imr4895 that the guy said was 40 years old should I stop the order or will it hold up another 5-10 years?

Posts: 4 | Location: eastern NC | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Frowner4895 IS THE ONLY POWDER i HAD TO GET RID OF BECAUSE OF DETERIORATION. You possibly are in a crap shoot by getting it. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
imr4895 that the guy said was 40 years old

I shot a $hit load of 40 yr of 4895 and it worked great. It will depend on how it was stored.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
imr4895 that the guy said was 40 years old

I shot a $hit load of 40 yr of 4895 and it worked great. It will depend on how it was stored.

Possibly but the WW2 4895 often lacked 1 or more rinses and turned nitrous over time no matter how it was stored. This is well documented. old roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 years old would be 1970's, not WWII.
Who are you ordering it from?
If you are ordering from Jeff or Pat I wouldn't be too worried. They seen to know their product well.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
40 years old would be 1970's, not WWII.
Who are you ordering it from?
If you are ordering from Jeff or Pat I wouldn't be too worried. They seen to know their product well.

Roll EyesI guess if he said it was 40 years old than I guess it must be. My records indicate the stuff I bought was in 2002. If my math is correct that was eleven years ago . old That does not mean ,however, the powder today would only be eleven years old.There was some lengthy discussion on this forum some years ago about this. beer roger