Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS 10-10 gets 'sticky'
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Originally when I started loading, I used a Pact electronic powder dispenser and scale. Worked fairly well, but needed re-zeroed frequently (it seemed). So I looked around, and ended up getting an RCBS 10-10 mechanical balance scale, and the deluxe scale check set. Turns out the 10-10 and the electronic agree pretty much dead nuts on every time, go figure.

The problem I've been having w/ the 10-10 is that it gets 'sticky' for lack of a better term. I'll throw a charge, weigh it, and it is low. So I trickle some powder in, and it doesn't move. So I trickle some more. And so on. Finally, I tap the end of the beam to set it in motion, and of course, it settles out too high now. Or, even better, it comes back to exactly where it was before, when I know there is no way in Hades that the scale should not have moved after I trickled in a friggin' half a grain!

At times, it seems like the copper guide part is pulling to one side in it's slot, and rubbing, causing things to hang up. Other times, I don't know what causes it.

About the only thing that seems to snap it out of its mode is (gulp!) sharp mechanical agitation of the beam. i.e. smack the beam so it whacks against the top and bottom stops, and sometimes so the copper guide rattles off the sides of the guide slot. Sometimes one or two sharp taps is all it takes, other times, I feel about ready to throw the damn thing across the room.

This is supposed to be *better* than an electronic scale?!?

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Milanuk, I had a similar problem with a 23 yr. old RCBS 5-0-5 scale. Call RCBS' customer service number and describe your problem. They'll issue you an authorization number and request you ship the scale to Ohaus in N.J. (Ohaus pays the return S & H). You'll get a new scale in exchange for the old one. Turn around time (as of 9/02) was less than 3 wks. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Did you clean the knife edges and the pivot points? It only takes one little spec of dust to screw things up...or is it more fun just to "...smack the beam...".

[ 02-17-2003, 20:32: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i've got a 502 rcbs scale that does the same thing. i just tap the beam and retrickle the charge. i find it helps to clean the posts and holders occasionally. i use alcohol [Big Grin]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I've blown the thing out w/ canned air, but I've yet to find a decent supplier for isopropyl alcohol (stuff I've used in the past for electrical cleaning). Will regular rubbing alcohol work sufficiently?

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
Milanuk,

Yes, drug store isopropyl alcohol will work just fine in this application.

What I've found is that the "sticking point" is usually not at the pivot but at the copper "dampener". Check that the copper plate and the area that it rests on is clean. Also that the copper plate doesn't contact anything when it lifts off its stop and or when the scale is zeroed (or near zero).

<Big Stick>
posted
I like Starting Fluid,as a fairly high pressure cleaning agent and have cleaned my scales multiple times with it..............