New
Find
Notify
Tools

HEVI SHOT??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just cut open a 12 ga 3'' remington premier hevi shot #4 shell. and to my surprise inside theres anywhere from #2 to #8. whats going on here???
thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have brought bluk Hevi shot for reloading the quaity control on the shot sizes real sucks.
But the stuff real kills.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The stuff looks like sinters, the sizing is absurd, and it kills like nothing we've ever seen before.

Sometimes, you just have to say "whatever", and go kill something. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stuff I got from the original manufacturer is not like that. It is fairly round and of consistent size. It shot it almost exclusively last year on ducks. I used 1 1/4 oz #4 and #6. The performance is better than ANY shotshells I have ever used. Yes, better than copper plated buffered lead. I can now shoot 12 ga 2 3/4" and have more one shot kills than ever before. I have been hunting waterfowl for over 30 years so, that includes the good old days of lead. HS puts any steel shells, regardless of length or speed to shame. One of my main hunting buddies got a Benelli Superblack Eagle. I get more birds , with less shells, using my M-12 and heavi shot than he does. He is shooting the biggest shoulder busting 3 1/2" steel shells he can stuff in that thing. I can also fold the 50 yard birds consistently. He has to wait until they are very close. He is shooting an IC choke to make hitting easiar and because the steel does not have the poop to do the job at past 40 yards.

On my advice he got some 3 1/2" #4 HS and used it, at the end of the season. He had to concede his averages skyrocked. He had zero cripples shooting HS.

There are two downsides. Cost per shell and being accused of skybusting. The cost is no big deal since is use less shells. The skybusting illusion may cause you some problems from those who use steel. Once the see you get your limit with one box or less they generally get interested in heavi shot.

Buy some, shoot it, be converted. Don't fret about the pellets not being perfect. It does not seem to matter. I have heard such complaints and tests show it pattern extremely tight in spite of the weird pellets. Try it on paper. It has been peopesed that the teardrop pellets fly like arrows and thus increase the BC and penetrating power. It also seems to keep the patterns tighter.

Did I say I really like HS? Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
This Remington Hevi-shot has just appeared on the Australian market (or I've just noticed it?!). Is it "steel"? or "bismuth" or what? Can it be used in barrels not "steel proofed"? Just wondering as Duck Opening is just 2 weeks away.
Thanks...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a combination of nickel, tungsten, and iron IIRC. It is heavier than lead, harder than steel, and kills like nothing I've ever used before. It will score your barrel some, in spite of the special long shot cups. However, we just throw our choke tubes away at the end of the season and buy new ones the following year. Note, don't use a choke tighter than Improved Cylinder or you will essentially be shooting a rifle. I've killed ducks at 50-55 yds. with an IC choke.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay so it's basically for guns with chokes designed for steel. Given that it's heavier than steel (and lead?) are we talking about going back to shooting shot size for shot size with lead?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Okay so it's basically for guns with chokes designed for steel. Given that it's heavier than steel (and lead?) are we talking about going back to shooting shot size for shot size with lead?
Cheers...
Con

It is 10% heavier than lead so in some cases "dropping back" a size from lead would be OK.

I always used copper plated #5 lead for turkeys, but I am going to go to #6 Hevi-shot for pattern density.

@ 45 yds #5 Hevi-shot will put dents similar to a centerpunch mark on a steel drum. #5 copper plated lead only leaves a smear and a small depression @ the same range.

One of the fellas @ work hunts geese w/#2 Hevi-shot. He claims it is awesome, completely penetrating 1/2" plywood @ a fairly long range., something like 40-50yds.
eek2

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they could make shot out of depleted uranium? We could shoot ducks at 100 yards using #9 shot. Wink I am joking. Would be interesting to see how far the idea of super heavy streamlined shot could take us. And no, DU is not radioactive.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scota4570:
Maybe they could make shot out of depleted uranium? We could shoot ducks at 100 yards using #9 shot.

And they would hit the ground pre-cooked and bald!

quote:

And no, DU is not radioactive

ANYTHING, that has a halflife is radioactive. It's just safe(!?), that's all

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read articles in the hunting mags on the Hevi shot. They all said that the stuff has no uniformity at all like what one might expect after looking at lead shot sizes, "some stuck toghether like little snowmen" was one phrase that one writer used. I do not remember the exact mag or article that I saw it in...

When you purhcase a box of #4 Hevi Shot, that is more or less a generalization as to what is in the shells, like a mix from #2 to #6 or 5. That is the impression I got from what I read. Even though the stuff looks "awful", they all said it shot excellent, and accurate too.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One final thought on the subject. A mixture of shot sized would cause the shot string to be longer. That would make the lead needed to hit a bird less critical. Another point I have come across is that the big pellets may pave the way aerodynamically for the little pellets. A drafting effect. I am not shure where the truth lies. I do know the stuff kills ducks better than anything I have ever used.

I bought mine from:

http://www.hevishot.com/home.html

They will sell directly and ship to your door. I did not have a "problem" with goofie looking shot in their ammo. If I understand correctly, they hold the patent on the stuff. Maybe they have some proprietary method for making the shot?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's where you can get data, supplies and other help if you want to load some yourself. it's not cheap by any stretch, but you can really save quite a bit loading your own.

I got some for turkey hunting, didn't get one, but man does it pattern great!Big Grin

reloading data and supplies

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I understand correctly, they hold the patent on the stuff. Maybe they have some proprietary method for making the shot?

I believe that the guy who developed the Hevi Shot sold the rights to produce it to Remington. However, his company, Environ Metal, has come out with a new shot, Hevi Steel. This stuff is heavier than steel and comes out at a MV of 1550 fps. This new shot is supposed to kill almost as good as the Hevi Shot at about 1/2 the price. I bought 2 boxes ($21/25 shells) toward the end of last season but never got to try it out before the end of the season.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a new non tox shot the more on the market the better some day maybe the a price war will start and drive the price down a bit.

Reminton as a new load of Hevi shot out call Dead coyote T sized Hevi shot 50 or so pellets per load. Should be a really goose killer out to 75 yards or so as long as your on them.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hevi-shot was created in Albany, Oregon. Production of Hevi-shot is now the largest consumer of Tungsten in the world. The guys that created it are die-hard hunters as well as metal-magicians. Just FYI.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

posted Hide Post
They just came out with another new shot also called, Hevi 13. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet but have read some reports from others. They are seeing some great 40 yard patterns. It likes to be choked harder then regular hevi though.

Am curious as to when the raw hevi 13 will come out.

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 8 | Location: Christiansburg, VA | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote