New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced loads .308 Win.
 Login/Join

<BruceHinton>
posted
I used to shoot 150 and 190 gr. bullets loaded to about an 85-90% charge v. regular rifle loads for use in my XP-100 for IHMSA silhouette. That was 15 yrs ago and the 55-lb. ram targets in Texas were stubborn about falling down.

Is anyone familiar with a method of reducing the load to around 70% and still keeping accuracy. I vaguely remember some reloader who used to put something on top of the powder to keep it in consistent position in the case.

The secret is of course, no residue that would hamper accuracy after several rounds. I am thinking of the shootoff targets at 200 meters, (lifesize and even half-size targets, chicken silhouette, normally the 50 meter target). Open sights!

I like the cartridge for full power, and would like to have the option of factory ammo in a pinch, and sabot-loaded 224's are a tremendous bit of fun.

<reloaderman>
posted
Bruce, The Lee Modern Reloading manual has a little program you can load in your computer and enter the load info, then your desired fps.,and it will tell you how much powder you need to reach it! I've tried it with several cast bullet loads over my Crony and was amazed at how close I came to the desired speed. I think you can even order the program on disk from Lee. Or borrow the manual from someone and try doing-it-to-yourself, it is written in basic. If you can't do it, ask your kids to do it for you (that's what I did!)
[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Hodgdon site has "Youth Loads" that may approximate what you want. They suggest 4895 which is very good.

I like IMR 3031 for such loads even better but 4895 is very good.

There are reduced loads in the Speer books too.

Cast bullet loads will work also but don't use the very light ones as a jacketed bullet might stick in the barrel.

I would just use a 3031 load for the 300 Savage to start and then chrongraph it when I got around to it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Lee 170 gr. flat nose cast bullet in a couple rifles at 2250 fps. One inch acuracy at 100 yards, and the deer seem to go down quite well with it. I don't know about sillywets.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4895 is very good for reduced loads in the .308 Winchester, among others. I have taken charge weights down to 70% of maximum with 150 grain bullets ("normal" charge weights run in the mid-40 grain area) for velocities around 2000-2200 fps while maintaining the rifle's full accuracy potential. I.e., my stock M700 .308 normally groups around 7/8" or a smidge more and I was able to keep this grouping ability with the reduced loads.

I never used any filler or anything else to hold the powder in place, nor did I take any special care to position the powder in the case for each shot.

These are really sweet to shoot, like a super accurate .30-30 with better ballistic coefficients. [Smile] And with that straight stocked bolt action, recoil is negligible.

There is a very good article in one of the older Gun Digests about greatly reduced loads, that is where I got my information abour IMR 4895, but I cannot get to my collection easily to look it up. Perhaps someone else can reference it for you.

[ 03-04-2003, 20:33: Message edited by: Jim in Idaho ]

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<BruceHinton>
posted
In spite of the "Sillywets" comment, thanks, gentlemen, for taking the time to reply.

There is a ton of experience here on this forum, hope I can contribute from time to time also.

Bruce