posted
lawdogso,

Ditto, except 2 Rockchuckers.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Hey all,
I just found this site and am looking for some advice on reloading equipment. I'm a reloading novice and want to roll my own for my .270 and .300WM. I'm also considering a .223 purchase.

Anyways, I've been looking at the various shooting supply stores (Midsouth, Midway, Natches, Cabelas, etc....) and note that there is a lot to choose from in the way of reloading starter kits. The main lines are Lee, Lyman, RBCS, Redding, and Hornady that carry starter kits. Forster appears to have some good case trimmers.

I think I'll exclude Lee and Lyman and go with either Redding, RBCS or Hornady because they appear to be of better quality. So finally my question to you experienced handloaders:

Would you go with RBCS, Redding, or Hornady equipment if you were in my shoes? Price isn't a major issue, but I would like to stay below $350 on equipment right now.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Buy the RCBS Rockchucker kit! It`s one of the best on the market. Also plan on spending some of your allowance on a extra manual or two, you can`t get enough good data.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS has the best combination of design, service, quality and price. Buy at least two reloading manuals at the same time. I prefer Sierra and Nosler but Speer is very good also. In fact for a new reloader Speer may be the best. I was thinking of the data at first. Find the online sources of data also from the powder companies.

As to on line sources I get most of that kind of stuff from Grafs

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Reloading Kit
RCBS Accessory Kit

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
A reply from Steve Ricciardelli! I must be in the right place. I've been reading your pages off and on for the last couple of years.

RBCS it is.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a contrary cuss and generally fond of Lee products, but this one time I'll go with the majority. The Rockchucker is clearly the best place to start in your circumstances. It'll do anything and it'll do it forever.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Mulerider,
PM in return.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slatts: PM sent

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit includes:
1) the Rock Chucker Supreme press
2) 505 scale
3) Uniflow Powder Measure
4) Speer Reloading Manual #13
5) Hand Priming Tool
6) Hex Key Set
7) Case Loading Block
8) Case Lube Kit
9) Powder Funnel
10) Deburring Tool

I got a kit 7 years ago [because everyone said I should], and the only things I still use are:
1) the Rock Chucker Supreme press [great press]
2) 505 scale [great scale]
3) Uniflow Powder Measure [ok powder measure]

If you buy the kit, don't take the book "Speer 13" too seriously.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were starting over, I wouldn't purchase a "kit". As one other poster mentioned, chances are, if you really get into reloading you'll replace most of that stuff down the road. Like the saying goes, "spend your money once".

Since you're reloading rifle rounds, I would get:

*Rockchucker or Redding press

*Lyman 1200 DPS powder scale/dispenser (You don't mention what type of shooting you do. I mainly shoot 1K yd. benchrest and weigh each charge. You could go with a Pact/RCBS etc. digital scale and a Harrell's powder dispenser if long range BR accuracy isn't a #1 priority)

*Redding full length "S" dies or Competition dies

*Lee primer seating tool and shellholders

*RCBS powered TrimPro case trimmer

*Caliper

*a handheld deburring tool for now, then the RCBS Trim-mate
case prep center as funds allowed. That way you can do primer pockets as well as debur/chamfer necks.

I know this is going over your $350 budget, but if you think you'll load at least 50 rounds at a time, powered equipment makes it so much easier and it will be cheaper in the long run because it's stuff you won't want to replace as you get more experience. Reloading is fun, but I value my time and don't want to spend too many hours doing it. When I started, I bought the press and dies so I could do some work at home, then I'd go over to my friends house and borrow his equipment to finish, that way I didn't buy cheap crap just to get started. Good luck.

-Rick

Posts: 57 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a Dillon 550 for my pistol and an RCBS Rock Chucker for all my rifle. It's a nice combo.
Aaron

Ditto here as well.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be a contrary cuss and say Redding with RCBS a close second. Redding is popular with benchrest shooters, and those guys are demanding suckers. I have an RCBS Rockchucker, and it has served me well for years, and service is terrific, but I honestly feel Redding makes more accurate equipment. Their "S" bushing neck sizing dies are second to none. Along with the Wilson busing dies they produce wonderfully concentric reloads, and that is the name of the game. Both Redding and RCBS make the complete range of equipment required for reloading. You won't go wrong with either company. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote