Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate 2230-C max. limit in 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Not knowing the upper maximum load limit of 2230-C in a 22-250 I worked up to 36gr. useing many types of 50 and 55 gr. bullets. Most but not all presented a hard bolt handle lift.Some primers were quite flat and some had cratered fireing pin indents. Also 22 caliber bullets are hard to pull with an inertia or impact puller. Got rid of about 20 live rounds.

Since the 2230-C is widely used now and since there is limited exact imformation on it, I thought perhaps this data would be useful to someone. cheersroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
50 grain:
AA-2230-C From 29.8 grains to 37.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

52 and 53 grain:
AA-2230-C From 28.2 grains to 36.5 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

55 grain:
AA-2230-C From 29.7 grains to 36.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

50 to 53 grain:
AA-2230 From 30.3 grains to 36.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

55 grain:
AA-2230 From 29.0 grains to 35.8 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

From my sources at AA:

"Its a military surplus Ball or Spherical powder, which is basically a derivative of the standard AA 2230 and 2460 powders.

2230 C is slightly slower burning than the standard AA 2230 product, which makes it more equivalent to AA2460.

You can use any published load information, on any caliber configuration, for the standard AA2460 product AS IS."

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
50 to 53 grain:
AA-2230 From 30.3 grains to 36.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

55 grain:
AA-2230 From 29.0 grains to 35.8 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

This reply is not meant to be arguementative in the least. It truely is an attempt to get an experts thinking on this matter. As we know, from one rifle to another there will be varying pressure indications using indentical loads. We also know that from batch to batch powder may differ somewhat and that high temperature may contribute to high pressure .

Having said all this I'd like you to tell me, using your two indicated max. loadings, what percentage of 22-250s would show pressure signs as mine did.

Granted the prudent should always work up to max. in there indivdual rifles. Having been conditioned by varying loading manuals and forum loaders ( not you )touting how under loaded this manuals or that manuals max. is let's say, however, they do not. What would the answer be than?

I'm really trying to pick your brain and perhaps add enlightenment to some of our cohorts here. thumbI hope you had a nice Christmas, cheersroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been tempted to buy some of the stuff, Lord knows its cheap enough, to feed my .223's and .222's with but the in-exact data was kinda a put off to me.
When I still lived in Memphis, AA was selling powder in QT and gallon milk jugs with ".223" written on the side. I tried some (which I assume was AA2230) and it worked great. Then I move and could no longer get the stuff.
Why is there such a difference in price between 2230C and 2230?

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iwzbeeman:

Why is there such a difference in price between 2230C and 2230?

Usually it is surplus or didn't meet the specs. of the original powder.It's been on the market for some time now.When there is no more that'll be it.

Rumor has it that after 2006 all usefull surplus powder will be gone. I have no way to varify the validity of this, but I have been investing rather heavily in a number of the surlus powders. Data73,data86,2230-C,data 2200, wcc844, wcc846, 5010,and a little to my chagrin IMR7383.Some of these are already gone off the market. Roll Eyes Winkroger

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have no idea as to how many .22-250 firearms will indicate excessive pressures at the loads I listed as "max".

As the introduction to my reloading data pages states:

"The information listed for MAXIMUM loads may be safe only in modern firearms of current manufacture and in excellent condition! The age and condition of YOUR firearm is the determining factor! NEVER, EVER, START WITH ANY OF THE MAXIMUM LOADS!!!"

"The data contained herein is NOT bounded by SAAMI limitations!"

"The highlighted powder in the selection area is NOT sacred, truth, fact nor absolute. It is the powder and primer combination I chose as best when I was reloading that caliber, with that bullet. It is based on three simple facts:

1) A "gut feeling";
2) Almost 50 years of experience;
3) They worked just fine in the firearm I was testing."

"Pressure signs", can result from the particular barrel construction and finish, chamber construction and finish, lot number of bullet/primer/powder/brass, and your reloading technique.

The loads I list as "max" are generally at least 0.3 grains below the point at which I felt there were signs of excessive pressure.

Most of my testing for the .22-250 was done with several early model Ruger 77's (both 77R and 77V models). Several of the loads were also fired in a Winchester 70 without any apparent pressure problems.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote