New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confused with Rem 700 VLS, 243 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Rem 700 VLS, nice gun, but it has me stumped.
It will shoot 55 gr. Nosler B-Tips under 45 gr. of Varget under .5MOA . I chronod these at just over 4000 fps.
However, with 90 gr. Swift Sciroccos under 42 gr. of IMR 4350, I get at best a 5" group.
Same goes for some factory loads I've tried in heavier bullets.

Remington says the bbl. has a 1 in 9 1/8 twist. Should it not be more inaccurate then with the light bullets, given a faster than normal twist?

I'm not an expert reloader, but have been doing this for about 25 years, so not a novice either, and this gun has me stumped. I've also tried to download the heavier bullets, no success.
Anyone ever have similar issues with this type of gun?

Posts: 99 | Location: SK,Canada | Registered: 25 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle just does not like the Scirocco's. Try the 85 grain Sierra BTHP.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sparyandpray,

As Rick said, it is your gun. I have a VLS I have been shooting for 12 years that will shoot any thing into .5moa--sometimes less. Try a different bullet.

Posts: 36 | Location: greenville, sc | Registered: 27 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 243 VLS, I have not found a bullet over 85grs that it will shoot well( under 1.5 ins). I just ordered 90 B-tips , should be here in a couple of days and I will let you know. My VLS also shoots the 85gr seirra hpbt very well, but its performance on deer, unfortunitly caused me to not use it on game anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies . I would like to stay away from HP's for larger game. I bought this as kind of a dual purpose gun. Varmint and up to deer size critters.

It doesn't like factory loads either, so I doubt my reloads are at fault. Tried Hornady 100 gr.SP Light Mag and cheap Federal 100gr.Power-Shok. 2.5" Groups at best.

Pretty dismal. It's my only heavy bbl./varmint/benchrest gun and it shoots worse than all the others.

Maybe Remington cut the wrong twist in some barrels, more like a 1 in 12 or so.

Posts: 99 | Location: SK,Canada | Registered: 25 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sprayandpray:
...with 90 gr. Swift Sciroccos ...I get at best a 5" group....
I've had your specific Model of rifle, but in 308Win. There are some Bullets that "some rifles" just don't shoot well. You might try a different Brand like a 90gr Speer Hot-Cor or a 100gr Sierra and it do just fine.

Same with only using one Powder. It may prefer H414 or H4831.

Both situations can be aggravating when you do a bunch of Testing and don't see anything close to good accuracy.

Keep the Targets shot with the Factory Ammo because at some point, you might decide you need to return the Rifle to Remington.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I don't have your model of rifle, but I have a Ruger .243 and it will shoot everything from 55 to 70 grain bullets really well. I'll shoot 75 to 85 grains well, but will not shoot 90 to 100 grain bullets well. I have tried just about every powder to try to get the heavier bullets to shoot well and they just won't. You may have a gun that, like mine, just doesn't like the heavier bullets. I finally settled on an 85 grain Speer for deer and it performs very well.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience to Red C. with my Savage 243. Its champion up to 87grains with any bullets except for Barnes.
Every thing heavier was not accurate or key holed.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I got my son a rem 700 sps .243, and of the bullets we've tried, 75 v-max, 85 tsx, 100 rem and 105 speer it'll shoot moa with all of them.

I use Varget for the 75's, and H-4350 with the 85's, 100's and 105's. All sparked by fed 210's in rem hulls.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote