THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

218 Bee loads......what's worked for you guys??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Messing with a 218 Bee in Ruger #1 and realizing it isn't going to shoot like my turnbolts, what have you all found to be decent loads in your Bee's? Been shooting Lil-Gun with 40 grain VMaxs and Nosler Bt's and looking for other ideas. Thanks in advance. Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mine is a mashburn bee but the 40 gr bt with 4227 is working well

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornCharlie, My Ruger#1 is chambered for the 22 Jet which has almost identical case capacity as the .218 bee.Here are the powders that gave me the best results; H-110,DP 2200, 680,acc2015,2400, 4198, and 4759. Nothing that has been shot so far has shown any high pressure.
popcornI started with .218 data and worked up. The bullets giving the best results so far are the 52 gr FB-HP Berger's. Have gotten nice results with 34grHP Varmint Nite Mares and velocities over 3000 fps. The barrel started life as a .223 Ruger so you can find the twist as I have forgotten it. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Groundhog:

In my Model 43 Winchester, I use the 40Gr Hornet, and 14.1 Grains of IMR4198. Not the fastest or the most sexy, but the groups at 100yds are sub1/2MOA. Take a look at the small gun thread, Arizona Jack Rabbit Hunt, I used that rifle and load this morning, with great success out to 180yds.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a #1 in 218 Bee. The load I have settled on is 13.3grs of H110 and a 40gr V-max, 1.835". Very accurate load in my rifle. Also, 15.7grs R-7 works, well but not quite as well as the H110.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
With the Jet,14 grains H-110:
  • 52 gr, Berger, 3000 fps = avg.
  • 40 gr, Berger, 3053 fps = avg.
  • 34gr HP Varmint Nite Mare, 3200 fps. = avg.???
    popcornAll loads were reasonably accurate and no sign of high pressure.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    bartshe, Maybe I'll get around to loading up the VNM bullets you sent me year before last for testing!!! SORRY for the delay!! diggin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I've found that IMR-4227 to be the most accurate powder with bullet weights of 40-45 grains.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    From what is published on .218 loads,what I know and what I am learning with the 22 Jet, both cartridges in strong rifles are a new ball game and determining what a safe max. load is has not yet been reached or if it has, is not part of common knowledge. flame roger