New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 bullets
 Login/Join

<Swift Shot>
posted
I will be starting to reload. My primary animal hunted will be paper at 200 yards but will spank yotes on occasion. I am planning on going deer hunting later this year and want to just keep it all the same. I was looking at price of bullets and will be trying to keep load cost down.
1. Will just changing the bullet matter that much on paper if I keep the weight the same.
2. If it does matter what would be a good round to go for overall.
3. I am looking at 6mm caliber (.243" dia.) - 85 grains - Hollow Point Boat Tail GameKing any results with it.

<Don Martin29>
posted
The whole idea of handloading is to have a perfect load. Small, weak cartridges like the .243 Win cry out for the best load that you can come up with.

But for sure someone will say that the 85 Sierra HP is terrific.

Buy a box of 100 grain Nosler Partition bullets and carry them for deer hunting. This is the least you can do for the game.

It would be ok to use the 85 HP for paper and also varmints but the 80 gr Sierra Blitz has a higher BC and costs less.

one of us
posted Hide Post
yea you know that a 243 is a weak round BS ask the 34 elk and 6 moose how weak a round it is they all died with one shot from my 243. you might try some 70 gr Speer t-nts for varmits i use 40 gr of 4895 my rifle shoots this load in the .2s all day for my hunting load now its 95gr nosler Bt with 48 gr 7828 this is over max load but shows no sign of pressure in my rifle you should work up to this with caution

Posts: 61 | Location: Missoula,Mt | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your primary non-paper target is coyotes, and you want a load that is also sufficient for deer, AND cost is a big consideration, I would recommend any of the conventional 100 grain bullets like Speer, Hornady, or Sierra (I have found the bulk bullets from Remington and Winchester, while economical, to be very inconsistent). These 100 grainers will take coyotes as well as the "varmint" type bullets, but will be more dependable performers on deer. While the Nosler Partition that Don suggests is certainly an excellent bullet, it is more than twice as expensive as the others, and, considering you are on a limited budget, would therefore limit your shooting severly.

Don't mix bullets, even of the same weight, and expect them to shoot to the same point of impact or even be safe in the same load!

As to powders, H4831 would be my first pick. Other acceptable powders would be any of the 4350's, IMR 7828, RL 19 and 22, N 160, H 414, and any powder in other distributor's lines in this general burning rate range.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
 -
This group, which measured somewhere around 0.342-inches for 5-shots at 200-yards.
It was fired using a Ruger 77R in 6MM Remington with Leupold 9x optics
Case: Remington
Primer: Remington 9-1/2
Powder: 43.2 grains of IMR-4350
Bullet: Sierra 85 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
Velocity 15' from muzzle: 3128 fps

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
Small, weak cartridges like the .243 Win...

[Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Confused] [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
For paper & groundhogs, I use 70 gr Sierra MatchKings or 70 gr Nosler Ballistic tips.

For deer, 95 or 100 gr Nosler Partitions.

It's not a "one bullet do it all" answer, but if you find which one shoots best in each weight in your rifle, you can easily cover 99% of your hunting with two bullet choices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the 243 and 6MM Remington to be excellent cartridges for deer. I have also found that certain mid weight bullets kill deer more quickly than Nosler partitions. The difference being if you are one of those guys that has to destroy a shoulder to kill a deer use the partitions. On shots directly into the chest area and avoiding ruining the meat in a shoulder I have made many in the tracks kills with the 87 grain hornady soft point and the 85 grain Sierra BTHP. The 95 grain ballistic tips from Nosler also provide quick kills on these shots. Interestingly I seldom recover bullets on broadside shots even if there is some angle to work with unless it hits the far shoulder going out. If the bullet does hit the far shoulder it usually breaks it and ends up under the hide. I don't take running shots or luck shots and my experience with these rounds includes mulies, whitetails, blacktails and a few antelope. I have never seen a properly hit deer escape or go far.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Shawn>
posted
I believe the great success of the .243, small that it is (ha) can be attributed in part to the bullet losing most of it's energy in the animal. What good does all of the magnum energy do when half of it leaves out the other side? I have also found the 95 gr Nosler partion to kill a lot slower than a bullet that is not so stout. Give me one that dumps all of it's energy inside, not in the ground on the other side.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 85 gr hpbt is a good choice. Also look at the Berger 90 gr mef available at midway usa., very accurate.243winxb

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Hellrazor>
posted
I have always used 100gr hornady interlocks for deer. For such a small and weak cartridge, i have managed to easily kill deer out to 250yards. You also can't go wrong using ballistic tips. They are VERY accurate. I would like to get ahold of some hornady SSTs to play with in the 243 also.