Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading with lead vs. plated questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to pick your brains a little about reloading with lead bullets. I primarily reload .45ACP and 9mm and so far I have only reloaded with plated bullets. Do to the economics involved with lead, I was interested in using it instead of plated, but have some questions. My reloads are only used for range work and practice which is another reason for my interest in lead.
When reloading with lead, do I need to alter the powder charge weight that my reloading manuals specify? I usually stay in the the middle of the high and low recommended charge weights with the powders that I use and lately I have been using mostly Winchester 231 and Bullseye.
If my press' taper crimp die is already set up properly for the previously used plated bullets, do I need to make any adjustments for lead bullets due to the softer bullet composition creating different pressures, or can I leave it the way it is?
If I typically clean my guns after each range visit, will I see a noticeable change in how dirty/fouled my guns get from lead, making them Ore difficult to clean, or would this only be an issue if I allow build up to occur by cleaning them less frequently?
Someone told me that towards the end of a range visit using lead to run and 10-20 rounds of plated through the gun and that gets rid of some of the barrel groove fouling before cleaning them, is this true?
Will shooting lead put any more or any less wear on my guns?
Is accuracy with lead just as good as plated for handgun practice?
When reloading with lead, do you recommend using gloves when handing the bullets?
Thanks so much for all of your answers.

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting lead meaning you are going to buy lead bullets but not cast your own?

You might try the Cast Boolits site and the Los Angeles Los Angeles Silhouette Club

If you are only interested in refilling your cases just stay with what you are doing.

If you reload cast bullets you are going to have to read, learn and think a little to a lot. Ours is not a completely plug and play world.

You might be better off to ask these questions at a site that is comprised mainly of handgun shooters. Handgun shooters often have an entirely different goal and value set than rifle shooters.

Yes your guns may be a little more cruddy if that is really important.

You have to balance pressure of the load, bullet hardness and size to make it work well.
Some of the best lubes may stink and smoke.
If cast bullets are done well your bore will not be leaded. Invariably there will be some bullet lube residue.
If you just buy cast bullets you will need to be able to specify the sized diameters to be about .001 larger than your groove diameter.
Don't know your groove diameters? You need to learn to measure them.
If the bullet is larger than what works well with your expander you will need a bigger and better expander.

If you want it to be neat and clean like using FMJs you have some things to learn. You will need a basic interest or love for the techniques of getting a lead bullets to work well.

Or you can just go bang, bang, bang and deal with the results - which will often be poor accuracy and a leaded bore.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
You do not say if you are planning to cast your own or purchase bullets precast. Good cast bullets can be had from Meister Bullets, Laser Cast, Magnus, Montana and others and most of the work is done for you. Pick the weight and type preferred and you should be good to go. If you wish to cast your own then there is a bit of a learning curve to get started. I suggest you pick up a Lyman’s Cast Bullet Handbook and do some reading before you go out and purchase anything.

When reloading with lead, do I need to alter the powder charge weight that my reloading manuals specify?

That depends on the bullet weight and type, you’ll need to check but usually plated bullet data is very similar to lead cast. Lyman’s or others will have the data you need.

If my press' taper crimp die is already set up properly for the previously used plated bullets, do I need to make any adjustments for lead bullets due to the softer bullet composition creating different pressures, or can I leave it the way it is?

Unless the bullet profiles are the same some die adjustments are required. It should be no more difficult than setting up for any other bullet change. Cast bullets may not be softer than the plated bullets you use, they may well be harder. Plated bullets use a soft lead swaged core with a thin deposit of copper plating.

If I typically clean my guns after each range visit, will I see a noticeable change in how dirty/fouled my guns get from lead, making them more difficult to clean, or would this only be an issue if I allow build up to occur by cleaning them less frequently?

I see a bit more black soot, no doubt from the lube but it is soft and cuts easily with a solvent and cleans very easily. As long as velocities are kept reasonable leading is usually not a problem unless you have a very rough bore or very poorly sized bullet.

Someone told me that towards the end of a range visit using lead to run and 10-20 rounds of plated through the gun and that gets rid of some of the barrel groove fouling before cleaning them, is this true?

Are you calling jacketed bullets plated bullets? They are not the same. Plated bullets are sold by companies like Berry’s and Rainier. Using a good cast bullet you should find no reason to do this. In fact I find some promo loads and imported ammo dirtier than my cast bullet hand loads.

Will shooting lead put any more or any less wear on my guns?

Generally less but not enough that I would worry about it either way.

Is accuracy with lead just as good as plated for handgun practice?

Like any other bullet some shoot very well, some shoot OK others poor. You need to work up your load. Read Lyman’s to give you the background

When reloading with lead, do you recommend using gloves when handling the bullets?

Not really, but do observe good hygiene wash your hands well when finished (lead or jacketed,) do not eat while reloading do not inhale vapors when casting. Lyman’s has a good section on this but its all common sense that one should be following reloading any cartridge.

Casting your own can be a very rewarding activity and may add a new level of learning and satisfaction to your shooting experience. There is cost for molds, pots, lube etc. that need to be considered and the time factor and a source for the lead. I cast from scrounged wheel weights and my equipment has been amortized over the past 30 yrs. Hence I can turn out some quality 9mm w/124g LTC bullet reloads for about $1.75 per box. Do your homework before you jump into casting or just try some precast bullets from a manufacturer to prove it to yourself.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
W231 And Bullseye are great powders for cast. Use data specifically for cast bullets, my favorite is Lyman’s pistol and revolver handbook. You may have to readjust your crimp die and you may not. Lead can not be absorbed through the skin, so as long as you are not eating it, inhaling it, or injecting it you will be fine. But wash your hands after loading and before eating or smoking. With the right load and bullet barrel leading will be minimal.
There is a large group of guys that swear the bullets must be sized .001 over bore diameter in order to get accurate, non leading bullets. There is also a large group that shoots as cast and swears the accuracy is just as good. How can both be right? I personally size and lube with an “old school” sizer to bore diameter and am happy with the results. Think about it when you buy factory ammo you don’t buy it by the bore diameter you buy it by the caliber and it works just fine for what you are trying to accomplish. Now if you were in competition where a small difference could change your score then it maybe important. Cast bullets have always been dirtier than jacketed and they always will be, they are from a time when men were men and not a bunch of girls afraid to get their hands dirty.

Posts: 46 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. My intention was to purchase cast lead bullets from a manufacture, because they are so much less expensive vs jacketed. $57.00 for 1000 124GR 9mm lead instead of $17.00 - $20.00 per 100 of jacketed. Still newer to reloading, but who knows, someday I may venture into casting my own.

Thanks,
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you slug your bore to make sure they are the right size.
As for wear is should be no different the same with cleaning.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote