New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Moly Coated Load Data -308 & 4350
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Okay so I know always start low work up. But some strange numbers in the Barnes manual.

I load H4350 and often find as a rule that H loads have about 1 grain less as max than I loads. Not always but often.

Most manuals list the max load H4350 or I4350 and a 165/8 grain bullet around 47/48/49 grns depending on age of the manual and bullet mfg.

Barnes lists for their non moly coated bullet 49 grns of I4350 as max load. They list no load for H4350.

But they list a max load of 51 grns of H4350 for their moly coated 180 grn bullet. 50 grns barely fits in the case.

That's 2 grains over the standard 165 grain bullet and 15 more grains of bullet weight.

That seems like an awful lot.

I am contempalting an even 50 grains of h4350 for their 168 grain moly coated.

Comments on any of the above appreciated.

[ 03-17-2003, 02:52: Message edited by: Mike Dettorre ]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
The reason for the hot sounding loads for the dry coat Barnes X is this.

The coating reduces friction in the barrel. Therefor pressure is reduced. To get the pressure back up you need more powder.

I hope this helped some.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Boilerroom,

I am aware of the reduced friction and therefore less pressure hence u can add powder. I was aksing about the relationship of the charge weights seem to be out of wack even for moly coated bullets.

[ 03-17-2003, 02:54: Message edited by: Mike Dettorre ]