New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra or Hornady
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a varmit bullett for my 222 I was thinking of 40gr. Hornady VMax or Sierra blizking. If I'm not mistaking the 40gr blizking is a flat base which I am told is more accurate at under 300yds & 222 is only good to about 250yds anyway. Have any of you had better luck with one or the other? Do you think quality is better with one or the other?

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Boss,
I use 50 gr. blitzkings and my .222 is certainly not limited to 250 yds. If I can see-um it can kill-um and has done so at well over 400 yds. I'm talking about p-dogs here not coyotes or other such bullet resistant creatures. Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
BossMoss: I have several 222 Remington Varminters but I only use the Nosler 40 grain Ballistic Tip in one of them. It is a Remington 700 Classic. Even with a 12X scope and the light barrel this Rifle is extremely accurate! I have not used the Hornady V-Max in any of my 222's but that is only because I decided on permanent loads for them before the V-Max was available.
The 40gr. Ballistic Tip performs very well for me on all kinds of Varmints! Looking through my loading log I see that I use the 35 grain Hornady V-Max in my Ruger #1-B 22 Hornet and the little brother to the 40 gr. V-Max is accurate and a good performer there at the lower speed out of the Hornet.
Thumbs way up from me on the 40 grain Nosler but no comments on the 40 grain V-Max.
Let me know if you need a good load suggestion for the 222 Remington.
Maybe I should say this also I use the Sierra 50 grain Blitz bullets (not the BlitzKings) in my other 222's and its performance both accuracy, lethality and trajectory wise is why I use them! It is also one of the least expensive Varmint bullets available. It you are at all interested in a 50 grain bullet be sure and try these!
Good luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BossMoss: I forgot to comment on the range of the 222 Remington! I have a factory stock Remington 40XB-BR in caliber 222 Remington. It wears a 24X Leupold scope. Shooting the 50 grain Sierra Blitz I remember killing Prairie Dogs with it at 400 yards numerous times! I agree that it is a little more difficult doing that than it is to do with one of my Swifts or 22-250's but it is very doable! One has to accurately account for the wind drift with the "deuce" at extended ranges and the use of a Laser Rangefinder (I now use the Leica 800) and your proper trajectory holdover and the 222's accuracy will stick those bullets right in there! Now I am not a "long range" guru and the furthest I have killed an individual aimed at Varmint ever is 650 yards. But do not sell the 222 short. I think if I wanted to make a habit out of the killing of Varmints at 400 yards with the 222 I would probably use one of the the sharp pointed 55 grain bullets like the Nosler Ballistic Tips, Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings or the Hornady V-Max's.
Good luck with that 222!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was never able to get a woodchuck over 295 yards with the .222 Rem. I shot over a thousand of them with that cartridge and wore the first barrel out doing it. I tried both the 50 and 55 gr bullets by both Sierra and Hornady made for that cartridge. The main problem was killing power. The little cartridge just runs out of steam. I agree the max range is 250 yards. Maybe 225 to be sure.

The only time I use 40 gr bullets is for a reduced report load for offhand shots.

The .222 is a nice old cartridge. I don't have one anymore.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote