New
Find
Notify
Tools

.44 Spl in Mag case
 Login/Join

<landtrain>
posted
To Hotcore. On 11-13-03 (03:12) you responded to Bob257 concerning using .44 Mag cases loaded to .44 Spl. velocities. No carbon ring, etc. (No joke. Serious question.) Would this also reduce the amount of wear and tear on the extractor. My semi auto Universal Vulcan has a tight chamber but a weak extractor and I'm looking for ways to continue shooting but causing less breakage of its parts. I know I have other options, but I'm looking at the least expensive ones first. TIA

one of us
posted Hide Post
landtrain
I have had 3 different 44 mag rifles. A Ruger Deerstalker [semi-auto] and a Marlin lever, I still have a Winchester lever. I have shoot them all quite a bit. I will recommend the following suggestions.
Try and determine if your chamber might also be a little short, or if your brass has grown too long. One way to do this is to try and hand insert cases into the chamber and see how easy they go all the way into the chamber. You may find your extraction problems to be related to case length. If so just keep them trimed to the proper length. Do this test with empty brass as reloads with crimped bullets will not tell you what you are trying to find out.
With your tight chamber you may have to just reduce you powder charges a grain or two. This in itself may solve the problem if the chamber length is not an issue.
Also clean your chamber out with solvent and a 50 cal.bore brush [not stainless steel].
Let us know how these tips work.
Do you have these problems with factory loads?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<landtrain>
posted
To NE 450 No 2. Thanks. Will try your suggestions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Landtrain,

I'm not familiar with your firearm at all. Is it possible for you to access the Chamber from the Bolt end? If so, spinning a 45cal Brass Brush wrapped with "0000 Steel Wool" and a bit of Bore Cleaner on it in the Chamber "by hand" may do wonders for your problem. I don't normally recommend using a Drill to do the spinning. Let the Bore Cleaner remove the Carbon and trash for you as you turn the Brush.

You may need to purchase a Hoppe's T-handle Chamber Tool. Basically a handle attached to a short nylon(flexible) rod which will allow you to clean the Chamber through the Ejection Port on "most" cartridges. (The brush and connector may be too long to make the turn through the Port and into the Chamber on a 44Mag though.)

Speaking in generalities, semi-autos are particularly bad about Cases "hanging" in the Chamber. My experience with pistols and semi-auto rifles have shown there are a number of things that can get things acting as if the system was out-of-time. Any of the below may solve your problem.

First off, you just got some excellent advice from "N E 450 No2". Be sure to check that.

The actual Load can also cause the problem. Too high and the Case will grip the Chamber too long resulting in torn rims or broken extractors. Too low and the pressure or recoil will not be enough to allow the Main Recoil Spring to work properly resulting in partial extraction, stove-pipes, misfeeds and jams.

It may be time for a new Main Spring, but adjusting the Load "down" slightly can buy a bit more time for you if this is the issue.

And the cleanliness of the Chamber itself(as mentioned before) can mess up the extraction by delaying the release of the Casewall from the Chamber or slowing the release.

If you normally clean the Barrel from the muzzle, as the Brush enters the Chamber, the bristles spring outward throwing trash and residue on the Chamber wall. Then when you run a patch down the barrel, it often won't open enough to wipe out the trash. (This is especially true on a bottle neck cartridge.) So, getting the Chamber clean can be an issue.

Since I'm not familiar with your firearm, I can't comment on the design or reliability of it.

Try those things and see if it will resolve your problem. Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote