Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Can I tell if I have a good crimp??
 Login/Join

posted
I'm new to reloading and my hornady set says to turn in 1/16 to 1/8 turns until desired crimp. How do I know when I have a good crimp??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwamp82:
I'm new to reloading and my hornady set says to turn in 1/16 to 1/8 turns until desired crimp. How do I know when I have a good crimp??

Are you loading rifle or handgun ammo? Generally speaking, rifle ammo does not need to be crimped, however, there are exceptions. For handgun ammo, I like Lee's taper crimp dies.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm loading hunting rifles.

posted Hide Post
300 wsm, 7 wsm, 243 wssm, 223, 300 win mag, all bolt action model 70

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
300 wsm, 7 wsm, 243 wssm, 223, 300 win mag, all bolt action model 70

I would never crimp any of those round even if the bullet had a grove to allow it. Back the die off so it doesn't touch the brass and then adjust the seater to give you the OAL you need.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't crimp those calibers at all. I do use a very light crimp on the real big bore double rifles and on a few very large caliber bolt gun calibers that tend to bump bullets back in the case. A light crimp and a near full case of powder cures this in the big bores.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great to know. Every book I've read said it's a must to crimp hunting loads. It's good to find out from actual people not some author who got it out of another book

one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your original question, measure the OAL of 4-5 rounds, load your weapon (either rifle or handgun), shoot 2-3 rounds, then unload and remeasure the OAL of the unfired rounds. If your OAL hasn't changed, your crimp is good. BTW, Capstick told a story in "Death In The Long Grass" of when he was culling elephants, shooting a .458 WM, IIRC. He had fired several rounds from a full magazine, re-loaded, fired some more, then finally had a misfire on one of the last rounds. They were factory .458 WM ammo. Apparently, the ones left in the bottom of the mag, after firing 4-5-6 rounds, had starting shifting the bullets out of the remaining rounds. Not a good thing with elephants charging...

I've never hunted DG, but if I were to, and were loading my own rounds, I would make damn sure I had a good crimp on my loads using the method above.

Food for thought. BTW, I've never crimped rifle rounds that were used for deer/elk hunting....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If all you have are the standard roll crimp/seating die as provided in a normal RCBS die set, for example, then trying to crimp smooth bullets will most likely just result in buckled shoulders. The Lee Factory Crimp die is a better solution, whether the bullet has a crimping groove or not. With that tool at least you can get consistant crimps, however light, with less risk bulging shoulders or buckled cases.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
If all you have are the standard roll crimp/seating die as provided in a normal RCBS die set, for example, then trying to crimp smooth bullets will most likely just result in buckled shoulders. The Lee Factory Crimp die is a better solution, whether the bullet has a crimping groove or not. With that tool at least you can get consistant crimps, however light, with less risk bulging shoulders or buckled cases.

I crimp everything I load with the Lee Factory Crimp Die Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:

I crimp everything I load with the Lee Factory Crimp Die Wink

+1

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote