New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using Varget in 338 WM loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm working up practice and hunting ammo for my 338 Win Mag. I've got a good supply of Vargetand was looking for comments from folks using this powder.
I'm using Hornady 225 Interlocks for practice and 225 gr. Barnes TTX for hunting.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have that round but I'd think if there is data with Varget it would do fine for some lower power loads.

I load fairly mild loads for my 300WSM with H-4895. It's just a powder-puff with that & 150 grn bullets.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
wavecheck out hodgdon.. its pretty consistent all the calibers I load for. I have not tried it with any thing that heavy.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm using Hornady 225 Interlocks for practice and 225 gr. Barnes TTX for hunting.

I hear comments like this all the time. How do you use one bullet to practice and another to hunt? To me how my hunting bullet acts past 200 yds or so is critical.

Not trying to pick a fight seems to be common since many state something similar. just curious.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No offense taken. It's just a lot cheaper to get trigger time with Hornady bullets than Barnes for general practice. I will do my final prep and data collection with my hunting bullets.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I often use cheaper bullets for general shooting & familiarity. This doesn't take anything away from final sight-in with hunting loads.

I've done this with muzzle-loaders & centerfire rifles & handguns. I may use a home case bullet in the M-L, save the Barnes. For rifle I have 1000 147 30 cal bullets I got for free. Other types are used with different cals.

Often it is not much of a scope adjustment, usually a bit though.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote